Nikon 24mm 1.4G and D7000

Has anyone here been using the Nikon 24 1.4G and D7000 combo? If so, how is it? I was thinking of using this combo for general purposes, street photography.

the D7000 aspect of your question not important as the same answer is valid for any DX model. That lens is sharp enough for that sensor.

IMO the 24mm when used in DX (~35mm FX equivalent) is a really useful crop factor which also hides the weaker corners of the frame making some stunning images. I have used my copy on DX bodies and never get tired of it. It almost made me want to skip on the 35 1.4... almost :p

I use it on my D700 and my D7000, and I love it for both cameras.

It is right, that the 14-24 is a bit better in the corners on FX, but only if you look very close.

St.Ives: What do you mean by "sharp enough" ?

K

keytarjunkie

You will be calling a lot of attention to yourself, using a large and loud camera. But quality-wise, well, I'm sure the 24mm f/1.4 G is significantly sharper than Garry Winogrand's Canon 28mm f/2.8 LTM, so hopefully that's good enough for you!

The 35 1.4 G is fabulous on my D7000. I will continue to use the 35 1.8 G because it is more appropriately sized for DX unless I must have 1.4.

The 60 2.8 G is a great portrait/macro lens on the same camera.

The 24 should work fine. I just use my 12/24 as my wide option for DX. It is a bit large too, but at least it zooms and there really are no good wides for DX appropriately sized. All the old wide AiS primes have some issues with digital, no auto focus and fuzzy corners to name a few. A 28 2.8 with .2 meter close distance is almost distortion free. little to no vignetting, and works like a 40 mm on FX.

I have used 24 AiS and they work OK on DX but again has some digital issues.

All the G lenses work fine on DX, the 24 should be no exception.

Why would anyone pay so much for a 24/1.4G to use it on a DX platform, not that it won't work but sounds like a waste.

For many, the 35mm angle of view is the "go to" focal length... to add a 1.4 aperture on top of that and you have an incredible combination. On a DX body, the 24mm gives you that.

I wouldn't consider it a waste, and had it had been available when I was shooting DX bodies, I probably would have bought it for sure. You get superb optics, sharpness, colour, and contrast with blazing speed. I can't think of a reason why you would consider it a waste.

For many, the 35mm angle of view is the "go to" focal length... to add a 1.4 aperture on top of that and you have an incredible combination. On a DX body, the 24mm gives you that.

I wouldn't consider it a waste, and had it had been available when I was shooting DX bodies, I probably would have bought it for sure. You get superb optics, sharpness, colour, and contrast with blazing speed. I can't think of a reason why you would consider it a waste.
This. I have used it quite a lot as my standard walk-around lens on my D80.

Why would anyone pay so much for a 24/1.4G to use it on a DX platform, not that it won't work but sounds like a waste.

I did exactly that for two reasons:

First, I never bought into the DX format as being the next format even though I've been using a DX body for years -- thus, I have zero DX lens :biggrin:. My next body will be FX; hopefully this year.

Second, I can use the lens on my film camera today. I just got back into film because of it. Enjoying rediscovering film, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the comments. I think I will keep this lens.

I "downgraded" from a D700 to a D7000 and I am going to keep my Nikon 24mm 1.4 G and Nikon 70-200mm VR II to use on the D7000.

Could I ask what was behind your downgrade, Nanobeast, as it is usually the other way round. Cheers

D700 is an amazing camera, no doubt. I have had it for a year, and i have been able to take some nice shots with it.

I tried out a D7000 and although it cannot compete with the D700, is also a wonderful camera in its own right. I like how how light and small it is and fits my hands better. I am a learning amateur and this is just a hobby to me. I felt Nikon D7000 was plenty of camera for me and I wasnt making full use of D700.

Once I feel I have improved, perhaps I will get get a D800 someday when its released in the not so distant future ....like 2016 or so.

Also, I dont feel too bad because I sold the D700 for more than what I bought it for after using it for a year. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom