Nikon 28 1.4 too $$$ - try Sigma 30 1.4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe Marques, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Just wanted to share a lens with my Nikon friends. :) I think I found a real winner with the Sigma 30 1.4. While I don't expect it will match the 28 1.4 - it will probably get you close enough for 1/4 the price. Here are a few shots of my friend's kids (for a change).

20D & 30 1.4 @ 2.8:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #5 - my personal favorite
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking. Comments always welcome.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hello stranger!! Nice to hear from you again. :lol:

Very nice shots. So how are you liking the 20D?

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Joe,

Nice shots. This is only about the 3rd post or review I've ready about this sigma. It looks good to me.

Good to hear from you,

4. Hi Frank, nice to hear from you as well. :D

The 20D is a winner (ISO 3200 is very useable) yet it still suffers from the D2H-type negative fiction (the 20D can't focus, the 20D is soft - blah, blah, blah). ;)

I will say this - I sometimes miss the bright 100% view finder on the D2H and that massive RAW buffer doesn't hurt either. On the bright side I don't have any wrist pain carrying the 20D with 300L f4 - a welcome break for me. The bottom line lesson has been - both brands kick a$$ so have fun shooting. :D

5. Hi Patrick, thanks for dropping in on this thread. :) The lenses are trickling out to market - don't even think the Nikon version is in stock anywhere yet. It will certainly make some people happy in both camps who find the Nikon 28 1.4 or Canon 35L 1.4 prohibitively expensive given the specialty use for such FL's.

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Glad to see somebody actually has this lens in hand, AFAIK the Nikon mount still isn't available anywhere. Your shots look good though I don't think it's possible to critically judge lens sharpness from web-sized images. But color and contrast looks good. What are your overall impressions of the lens? Does it need to be stopped down for good results?

Thanks,

7. It's sharp - even at 1.4 (center sharpness is excellent - I did some low light hand held testing).

Here's my low light hand held shot at 1.4 (ISO 1600):
    [​IMG]
    100% crop NO sharpening at all:
    [​IMG]

Here is a 100% crop of one of the outdoor shots @ 2.8 with mild sharpening since the ultimate output will be sharpened (apples-apples comparison of sharpened shots is more useful to me since I don't print unsharpened images so I'd rather judge how well a lens captures detail and allows for sharpening):
    [​IMG]

It really is a winner IMO.

8. Thanks very much, for this first look about this lens!

....Oh no, LL kicks in again.....

9. You're welcome Michael. Does LL ever go away? It's a chronic disease. :)