Showcase Nikon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5

I should be getting mine on Saturday (Thanks Eric!) and I'm going to plop it on my F100 and shoot a roll of E100GX. I have a feeling it'll be rather magical. :smile:

Has anyone tried this lens on a D300 or even full frame yet? I'm interested to see how well this will hold up to those.
It's FANTASTIC on the D3! :biggrin: It is my walk-around lens. :smile:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Smuggler's Notch cave
View attachment 251674

View attachment 251675

View attachment 251676

View attachment 251677

This lens is my favorite lens! I purchased it in the early 00s for my N70, but I used it as a walkaround lens on my D70 for about a year. It is not wide enough for lots of shots on the DX so I had to get something else. However, the IQ is great and it's compact, sharp, and lightweight. It doesn't focus particularly quickly but is very accurate.

Those are some great shots Gretchen. Its great to see that such an old kit style lens like this can still perform so well.
Actually, the 28-105/3.5-4.5 is relatively modern. It was introduced in December 1998, and wasn't discontinued until 2006. It's a cut above the kit lenses in terms of build quality, has a relatively fast aperture at 105mm, and marvellous macro abilities, with a max reproduction ratio of 1:2. It's so good that some people feel it eliminates the need for a dedicated macro lens. I use the 28-105 in my table top studio when the subject is too large for the 60 micro to frame, and outdoors where the working distance at 105mm is a big advantage.

As a matter of personal style, prefer tight shots and macros for casual walk-around application, and that's where the 28-105 excels.

Yes, I'm on the verge of selling my dedicated macro b/c I've come to realize that I have neither the eye nor patience, for true macro work. I prefer tight close ups, and just LOVE the minimum focus distance that I get with this lens in macro mode. The shot of James' hand above is macro mode. Here are a few others:

View attachment 251679

View attachment 251680

View attachment 251681

All are hand-held, auto-focused.......just the style of "macro" that I like to do! :biggrin:

Nice, Gretchen. Beth wants to know where you found the yellow Lady's Slipper.

p.s. I agree with you on the macro capabilities (as evidenced by my pictures above). It's perfect for wildflowers, and about as "macro" as I ever want.

Actually, the 28-105/3.5-4.5 is relatively modern. It was introduced in December 1998, and wasn't discontinued until 2006. It's a cut above the kit lenses in terms of build quality, has a relatively fast aperture at 105mm, and marvellous macro abilities, with a max reproduction ratio of 1:2. It's so good that some people feel it eliminates the need for a dedicated macro lens. I use the 28-105 in my table top studio when the subject is too large for the 60 micro to frame, and outdoors where the working distance at 105mm is a big advantage.

As a matter of personal style, prefer tight shots and macros for casual walk-around application, and that's where the 28-105 excels.
I didn't know this. I thought it was an older kit lens. Thanks for the schooling.
Looks like I need to try to use this lens for more than just a casual snapshot lens.

I tried the macro on this a little today. It won't be replacing my 150mm sigma but it does a fine job for a walk around.

I tried the macro on this a little today. It won't be replacing my 150mm sigma but it does a fine job for a walk around.
FWIW, you only get 2:1 if you put the slide switch into the macro position, and you also need to zoom to 105mm.

I love mine :smile:

I love this lens for flowers:

7 exposure HDR (camera on the floor) @ 55mm:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom