Nikon 28-300 VR Image Samples Please

I'm looking to get the 28-300 VR as a "light travel one (two) lens solution" if I can't or don't want to take more than a camera (D700 or D300) on a trip or to a shooting. I have about read all reviews I can find, but would be interested in as many sample images (links to full size if possible, or to 100 corps) at variousl focal lengths and aperture settings. I know I ask for a lot, but before I spend almost 1k on the lens I thought it may be worth it. And the few threads I found here don't have many (if any) samples (and if then mostly downsized).

Just for your info:
For travel I have the Nikon 16-35 f4 and 24-120 f4, both are great, but the 120 is just too short a lot of times.

I have also the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 (non HSM) and the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 (non OS version) with 1.4x Sigma TC, both very sharp when stoped down to f4 or smaller. But these two will be sold to be replaced by the corresponding Nikons (plus 2x TC III) for assignment and studio work or when size and weight does not matter, but for travel they are just too heavy. Especially if I need to take the 16-35 as well to get WA coverage.

Hope you guys can get me some help in deceiding. Thanks in advance.
JH

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSC0008 - Copy - Copy by longzoom, on FlickrView attachment 1012800
_DSC0008 - Copy by longzoom, on Flickr. As far as I remember, at 190mm, crop. The body was D3, JPG. As the 300mm is most critical for 28-300 lens, only one image at 190mm, the rest was at 300mm. In a range of 28-220mm the lens is stunning, but nobody can always win. At the longest end sometimes you can admit light - very light - softness. Even so, the 28-300 is sharper than 70-300VR at long end, in my experience. Hope it helps.

Thanks a lot for the samples. They really don't look to bad. Did you shoot RAW or JPEG?

Actualy, from the file naming it looks like you shot in RAW ...

On Thursday I stopped by a dealer and had the chance to try out a 28-300 for a half an hour on my D300 walking through town.

At home I assessed the pictures (RAW) and ... was really disapointed:
- quite soft at all focal length, even stopped down to f8-f11
- very low contrast
- very scetchy VR operation, as the VR seemed not to engage evey time I pressed the shutter button to focus and I had to realease and press a second time
- From the 50+ pics I took there were about 5 that were completely out of focus, even I know the camera did indicate focus lock every time I took a picture

I'm not sure if the lens had an issue or if this is what I have to expect. From reviews on the net and sample pictures I saw I did expect much better. Many reviews claim the lens to be better than the old 18-200 DX lens and on par with the 24-120 f4. I would say the old 18-200 is better in regards to sharpness and contrast when stopped down beyond f5.6. And the 24-120 f4 is simply another league and not to be compared in regard to IQ. Operations wise, both of them work more consistent than the 28-300.

I will probably try out another copy of the 28-300, but if it behaves the same as the first it will definitely be out.

Some travel pics with 28-300VR on D800...

Some travel pics...

A bee in flight (heavily cropped)

A frog (heavily cropped)

A bird in flight...

More pictures with 28-300 on D800 on my website..

Thanks for looking,
Kindest regards,
Stany

More pictures with 28-300 on D800 on my website..
Stany,

Thanks for posting. I had a look at your website and the 100% crops and that's really the first time I think the lens may be usefull.

What drows me off a little is your comment that it is less "impressive" when used with the D4 than with the D800. I atually would have thought otherwise.

Also, I still use a D700, which of course now raises the question will I be disapointet as well.

I tried one using my old D300 and was totally put off. Erratic AF and low contrast and sharpness past 200mm. But I start to believe it was an issue with that particular lens.

I just bought a cheap used Nikkor 70-300 VR ... but I am not at all impressed with that either. But for the price I thought I can risk it. I may going to sell it again though.

I have this lens, and have had good results IMO, with both a D700 and D7000

I'm not sure what type of examples you'd like to see, but I bought this lens on a whim for a trip to the US, and the only complaint I have is I'd prefer it to go to a bit wider to 24mm.

Here are a few with a variety of lighting

View attachment 1012810

View attachment 1012811

View attachment 1012812

View attachment 1012813

View attachment 1012814

View attachment 1012815

These were all taken with the D700 and 28-300mm combo.

Not true. My D300s uses the same convention in RAW as it does in JPEG. I believe Canon uses the _XXX0000.CR2 format
Well, all Nikons I have starting with the D70, D200, D300 and D700 used the file naming I described. Not sure why they would change on the D300s. But doesn't really matter. It's not important anyways.

I have this lens, and have had good results IMO, with both a D700 and D7000

I'm not sure what type of examples you'd like to see, but I bought this lens on a whim for a trip to the US, and the only complaint I have is I'd prefer it to go to a bit wider to 24mm.

These were all taken with the D700 and 28-300mm combo.
Thanks Richard.

Some really nice pictures. Is it possible to see some 100% crops of them? Or do you have a site that allowes to see original size versions of the pics?

Thanks Richard.

Some really nice pictures. Is it possible to see some 100% crops of them? Or do you have a site that allowes to see original size versions of the pics?
Thank you

No I don't have any 100% crops, and don't generally put up full size images on the net.

I can do some crops this weekend and post them for you

Here are a few images that have been cropped to some extent

View attachment 1012817

View attachment 1012818

View attachment 1012819

View attachment 1012820

Here are some samples from me:

ISO 2000, f3.5, @28mm, 1/30s handheld:

ISO 3200, f5.6, 1/25s handheld

@300mm:

Picked this lens up today, I'm happy.

Attachments

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom