Nikon 28 f/1.4 v. Sigma 30 f/1.4 Link to test, enjoy.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Chad Gladstone, Jul 19, 2005.

1. English Translation

http://216.239.37.104/... ...//www.nyanko-web.com/20050702-sigma30mm/

Original, in case the above link fails, or if you can read the native language
    http://www.nyanko-web.com/20050702-sigma30mm/

The bad news is the bokeh rendered with strong specular highlights is strangely rendered with the sigma in the edge of the frame (see last shot) even on the Nikon body apparently (Canon users report similar findings).

The good news, center sharpness and general bokeh characteristics of this $400 wonder are outstanding even against such a legend. Unbelievable. I kept having to view the exif to believe it myself. I know this is only one test, but if you buy the Canon rhetoric, you would believe that this lens is garbage. I look forward to seeing here in action - triangular bokeh and all. I can't wait to pick up my sample after seeing these carefully generated test shots.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Nothing really can be concluded from this poorly executed "test".

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Paul and Bjørn :

Well, with a comment like, "...but being something which is purchased in cheap medieval times, we refuse the Nikkor 28mm.", I'm going to be taking this review with 28g of salt anyway.

Sometimes the translation systems render materials in an almost poetic way. This isn't one of them. :roll:

John P.

6. One thing may be postulated, however, based on the test,
    The odd bokeh with the triangular shapes is also going to affect the Nikon mount model in a similar way to the Canon mount... a VERY bad way, perhaps even extending into sales....

Unless this all turns out to be one big bad dream or they find some way to fix it, I'm extremely hesitant to buy.
    I think that it may scare off many other buyers too.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    My God man! Think of your blood pressure!

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Chris :

About 126 psig this morning. So ? :p :wink: :p

John P.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I knew Bjorn would be in on this one :>))

You go Bjorn

10. That may be true, but it is the best out there right now. Instead of test, I should have said "samples" still, except for the rendered out of focus highlights of the sigma, it looks pretty good - to my untrained eye at least.