1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 300 2.8 -which one?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by mitchellbrown, Apr 7, 2007.

1. I am looking at a couple older 300's

one is an AF-I
    the other is an AF-S M1

what are the differences? Can you use a 1.4 converter on the AF-I?

Is there a AF-S M11?

Is there a good site to get info on older lenses from nikon? Besides for here of course!!!:smile:

2. Greg V

Greg V

Feb 19, 2007
    SE Michigan
    The AF-S utilizes an ultrasonic motor for foucsing. It is quiet and very responsive. The AF-I uses a motor in the lens but it is not ultrasonic. I have never used the AF-I. I own the AF-S and it is wonderful. Optically, I would expect both to be equivalent.

There is a version prior to the AF-I that uses the screw drive off the camera body to focus.

I do not know if the AF-S teleconverters work on the AF-I lens.

Best of luck.

3. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA

First, all the Nikon 300mm f/2.8 lenses are excellent. I had the AF-I, it is now four generations old but works great with the TC-14/17/20e teleconverters. The AF-S M1 is the next generation, it has a different autofocus motor and a different optics. There is also an AF-S M2 and the current verison which is AF-S VR (vibration reduction). You can't go wrong with any of them, it is mostly about how much you want to spend.

4. Thanks all...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.