1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 300 PF + Nikon 1.4 TC

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Mike Irish, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Outstanding images, Mike! I, too, love this lens!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Thank you so much Karen. The first image of the wood Pigeon is a large crop. The other shot of my youngest grandchild Owen isn't cropped but the focus is a little off I think? The lens is just so nice and small, I love it.
    Cheers.
    Mike

4. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Just sharpen the eye a bit.....it is a great image!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    I must try that karen.
    Mike.
    Here is another quick grab shot of Owen with the same lens TC setup. I love this one(y)
    42860213682_649a23772a_o. Owen-2-300Pf+1.4TC-420mm by Mike Skerritt, on Flickr

6. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Another great shot! Brighten the eyes on this one.

7. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    I bought it to replace a Tamron 150-600 that had become too heavy :)  and have never regretted it. I delayed adding a TC until a good condition 1.4 TC II cropped up and just as for the lens itself have never regretted it.

Today I shot some bee and butterfly pics with the combo and posted them in this thread. What a lens!

8. Have just done the same, to go on a D500 with the 1.4 II TC for BiF. It'll go alongside the 200-500mm to see which gets a permanent home in the bag.

Steve Perry advises not to crop much with the 300 + TC. Can anyone suggest why?

9. Yes, nice shots. Thanks for posting.

10. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    I have cropped the the D810's 36MP original to around 1MP with no problems. The only thought is that the 300PF does not have a great bokeh and it can sometimes look a bit odd in the crops.

I sometimes "convert" it to a more conventional-looking circular bokeh in PP.

• Like Like x 1
  11. barry lloyd

barry lloyd

Jun 12, 2007
    UK
    i had a Sigma 1.4 TC and it fell apart, since then I have always stayed with using a lens only. By extending the lens it must surely put more of a strain on the connection to the camera?

12. OK. Thank you.

I've used the Nikon 1.4 TC with the 200-500 zoom on the D810 handheld and haven't seen a problem - but always taking the weight via a hand cradling the lens.

13. gorec

gorec

May 15, 2014
    UAE
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Hi Gorec. long time no talk. The Tc is the Nikon 1.4ii. I have seen many reviews that say there isn't any real difference between the II & iii with the 300PF. I posted some shots taken at an air display in Blackpool last month. The weather wasn't very good for photography as it was very overcast all day, but I still like the shots. All of them were taken with the 300 FP and the 1.4ii Tc.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers.
    Mike

• Like Like x 1
  15. gorec

gorec

May 15, 2014
    UAE
    Yes ,Mike !!that's exactly the answer i was looking for !!
    Thank you so much for the info,Mike , and ,yes ,it's been a while !!:) 

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.