Showcase Nikon 300mm f/2.8 VR

Discussion in 'Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by pbenedic, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    THIS is the lens that I currently lust after most. Yet, I can not find ANY info about it. Anyone here use it? If so, what are your experiences and can you post some examples.

Thanks

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
  3. rnyc1

rnyc1

Mar 27, 2006
    New York
    Fantastic stuff.... were you using a monopod??

4. travelerx

travelerx

May 19, 2006
    Finland
    Hi Pat. I was also thinking of getting the 300 2.8 VR. Check out my thread:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=114151

The working mechanisms behind lens lust are truly mysterious. I actually ended ordering the 200/f2 VR. Don't ask me why. I'm still a little bit perplexed over my own decision.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yes Sir, each of these images was shot using a monopod. Additionally, the second image was shot through a chain link backstop fence.

6. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Wow!!

Thanks for the useful advice.
    Perhaps I should just stop this train of thought right now....

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    No one enjoys spending a huge sum of money for anything these days, but if you can afford this lens, you will not be disappointed with it's performance and what it can do to improve your photography.

8. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Pat, have you considered an AF-S I 300/2.8? If you shop around, you can get a used one at about half the price of the VR and it is an amazing performer also.

9. Frank207be

Frank207be

Mar 11, 2006
    Belgium
    I agree!!! I see some small traces of CA in the VR while the mk.1 was super clean. The VR is a tad sharper wide open IME, but this could be sample variation as well. The VR works miracles for wildlife though!

10. Faceman

Faceman

Aug 19, 2006
    LI, NY
    I picked up a Nikon AF-I Nikkor 300mm f/2.8D ED-IF for roughly 1200 off this forum and it's an amazing lens. Sharp, fast focus, great all around. Well worth the price. If you really need the VR, you have a very large price gap to fill.

11. I really want the 300 f2.8 vr also but the cost is preventing it. I just reviewed photos with the 300 f4 on photoSIG and I'm just as amazed. I 'm hoping for a VR II version later this year.

12. bfjr

bfjr Guest

My bread and butter lens. In fact I've owned now several variations.

right now I have a AFS Mk2 no VR and it's great
    my 300 EDIF MF lens is also great and is for sale right now, but had no takers here.

I to would like the VR version but I'll lick my wounds with what I have Now !!
    Here's a shot from my current version
    [​IMG]

and here's a shot from the MF version
    [​IMG]

As was explained to me at Nikon El Seg Ca by a tech. All of Nikon's
    300 2.8s have the best that Nikon can produce !!

Hope that helps ya spend some $$$$ !! :wink:

13. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    A few birds with the 300 VR:

1)
    [​IMG]

2) + TC14EII
    [​IMG]

3)
    [​IMG]

14. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Very true.

I shoot mostly sports with my 300, so VR is of little use to me on that particular lens. Plus, long glass like that is going to be on monopod or tripod anyway, so IMO, VR is kinda redundant.

Perhaps Nikon could consider adding VR to lenses that people actually handhold...Hmmm...:Smart:Now there's a concept...:wink:

15. Shooter

Shooter

May 7, 2007
    New York
    I think this will be my next lense if I can find a used one at a decent price. Those are all great shots!

16. Janne Mäki

Janne Mäki Guest

I would be very happy if someone could send picture taken with this lens and 2tc. I have heard that it is little soft with this combination, but how soft is my question, because canon 300 2.8is is quite good with 2tc wide open.

- Janne

17. Frank,

The first 3 is so crisp, it's almost clinically clean all the way to the edges. Absolutely delicious details and super clean colors.

You are stirring something, aren't you? You are a very evil man ... and I succumb ... I fall ... I have sinned ... again ... yes, I must resist ... my flesh is weak ...

I think there should be a corresponding Forum to go with this Lens Lust Forum called Lens Confession. :biggrin: And, we need a Lens Priest who can Pontiffy ...

18. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Well, if I am the one to elicit others to buy this wonderful lens, so be it. These lenses aren't cheap, but their performance is outstanding....and these images were all taken with the 1.4x TC on as well. I'd say that the IQ is satisfactory for most shooters.

19. Ben,

Your 2nd one is absolutely gorgeous. The highlights around the edge of the sparrow is a total knockout!

20. Frank,

Please don't take it from the wrong side of things ... I meant to be a positive comment with a "Lens Lust" slur thrown into it.

Your images are a pure sell for this lens! Delightful to view.