Showcase Nikon 300mm f/4 PF

Discussion in 'Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Bluebear, Mar 5, 2017.

1. I swallowed hard and bought this lens on Thursday, trading in (amongst a couple of others) my rarely used Tamron 150-600. This is now my most expensive lens.... I've not had a chance to use it properly yet but spent yesterday afternoon doing an AF fine tune (using FoCal software) for this and all my Nikon lenses, both on the D810 and the D7200. I'm delighted with the results!

I managed a quick shot of my cockapoo, Boris, in the garden just after I'd finished the fine tune. I'm glad I did that yesterday, as this morning's walk with Boris was very wet. I may get out with the 300mm later this afternoon if the rain (now stopped) holds off, but meanwhile here are dry and wet photos of Boris shot with the 300mm. The wet dog shot (ISO 640, 1/640 sec) is with the 1.4TCii attached (AF fine-tuned separately) and both shots are with the D7200.

[​IMG]
    Dry Boris
    by Richard Burn, on Flickr

(Dry Boris was at f/8, 1/1000 sec and ISO 5600 due to fading light)

[​IMG]
    Wet Boris
    by Richard Burn, on Flickr

2. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    Very impressive

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Dang! Looks great! Mine arrives tomorrow!

4. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    On a crop body I wonder how the BG looks at f/4
    I have started shooting more wide open since almost everything looks good at f/8 but at f/4 you get more 3D pop, 2.8 is even better although on FX DOF may be too thin

5. Geof

Geof

May 7, 2005
    Eden, NY
    [​IMG]

I think you're going to love this lens....

6. Nice shots, and cool dog!

I think you are going to get a lot of good use out of this lens. I love mine.

7. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Wow - those are excellent. Your images are so sharp that Boris seems to leap thru my computer screen! Congrats on the purchase!

8. photogramps

photogramps

May 6, 2012
    uk
    Roger
    It's a fantastic lens, you will love it not only for its lack of size and weight but for its great image quality ... as you have already experienced with these lovely shots. :)

9. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    can somebody post some f/4 pics with this lens, fx and dx, i want to see the bokeh, thanks

10. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Very good looking dod Richard. The photos are very good also. As Randy asked above could you post some shots taken at f4 as I might be interested in getting one of these lenses. The best of look with your new lens.
    Regards.
    Mike

12. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Really sharp Richard.

Karen, that duck at f/5.6 is incredible.

13. Geof

Geof

May 7, 2005
    Eden, NY
    Here's one from yesterday - D500/300pf/1.4TCIIIe @ f/6.3 (not cropped).

I'll try to take an f/4 non TC shot in the next day or so...

[​IMG]

14. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    It looks very good even with the 1.4 Tc. I find that I get this pincushioning effect on the BG with the D500 when viewed at 100%. Have you tried the lens on a full frame camera yet Geoff?
    Regards.
    Mike.
    PS What iso are you shooting at?

15. Geof

Geof

May 7, 2005
    Eden, NY
    The Giraffe was taken at ISO 1250.
    I've fine tuned AF on my D810 but haven't taken any non test shots yet. I'll try it with both cams - same subject when I get a chance in the next day or so.

16. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Thank you Geoff. That very kind of you. I am somewhat disappointed in D500's iso performance. Or is just me?
    Mike

17. Geof

Geof

May 7, 2005
    Eden, NY
    It's definitely noisier than my D810 but the AF system is incredible. I was at Viera on Friday and was shooting Osprey on the hunt (D500 with 500/4 VR) and it never really lost focus. At one point the bird was blocked by a palm tree and the camera locked on the palm tree but immediately locked onto the Osprey again after it cleared the tree. The D810 doesn't come close in that regard.

I should also note if I had more time I would have taken the giraffe shot without the TC and at a lower ISO - but i was also shooting some Impalas and needed the reach and shutter speed.

18. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    I agree Geoff the D500 is a very capable wildlife camera. The AF is excellent but I have set a limit of 1600 iso on mine now. The weather here isn't very good lots of rain and dull days. We are been hit with the tail end of a hiticane at present. I am looking forward to better weather so I can really give the new camera and lens a good run. Is it better that my D300 yes but I prefer my D3's performance.
    Mike

19. Geof

Geof

May 7, 2005
    Eden, NY
    I'm a bit under the weather today but took these (admittedly lame) shots on a D500 and D810 using the 300PF at f/4. In both cases ISO was 400. I resized both to 1600 pixels wide in LR6. Both were taken from the same location (within a foot or so).

D500
    [​IMG]

D810
    [​IMG]

20. Geof

Geof

May 7, 2005
    Eden, NY
    Correction - the D810 shot was at ISO 1400, not 400.

BTW, this sign was posted near the pond where the shots above were taken. I can't speak for others but I can't imagine alligator molesting is a real problem.... lol... ;)
    (I will note that an older definition of molesting is similar to harassing - but still).....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017