1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 300mm f2.8 ED AI-S Lens & TC16-A

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Tom/Cocoa, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Not sure if this the right fourm but here goes....
    Will the Nikon 300mm f2.8 ED AI-S Lens & TC16-A work on a D200 in manual focus? Don't want to hurt my camera with the TC16A and not sure it it will connect proper.
    Thanks

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi tom-

it'll mount with no problems, and you can MF the combination. i tried that combination when i first got my D200 to confirm that the TC wouldn't AF.

ricky

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Firstly I don't own the lens, the TC or even the body but I thought the D200 wasn't compatible with the 16A with any lens.

See the table on pg 174 on the D200 manual and you can see that the AF box isn't ticked.

I believe the 16A is good for AF on the flagship D2 etc models though.

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi robert-

i was hoping against hope, which is why i tried the two together :smile:

ricky

5. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Ahh well Ricky, it might have worked.

I guess for D2/D3 owners a 16A + 300/2.8 AIS is pretty cheap way to a 480/4.5, I don't know if the AF performance of the TC would be up to it however.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
  6. Thanks for the feedback...I'm trying to come up with a cheap way to get a better quality lens and I don't mind the manual focus...
    Again thanks
    Tom

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.