Nikon 300mm f2.8G ED VRII Lens

Real Name
Jeff
Just wondering if any of the bird shooters here on the Cafe use this lens much? Since my D810 seems to be working fine now (the shutter was sticking on it, but haven't had any probs with it lately), I am going to just keep using it as my primary body and not order a new D850. I also have a D500.
Anyway, I am planning on ordering this lens soon along with all 3 TC's and would like to hear from anyone else that uses this lens and any of the TC's with the lens. Especially from the bird shooters. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

JPS

I used it a lot, with the TC-20E III, which gives the larger aperture of f/5.6, and, despite a slight loss of IQ, works very well ! At a fraction of the price of the 600mm f/4 ;) !
I reckon the BEST compromise is to use the 300 f2.8 with the TC-1.7E II ! A good gain and almost no difference in IQ with the lens "nude" (y) !

Last edited:
I use mine on the D810 a lot. Its a good as it gets. I have a 1.7 and do not use it very often.

I shoot mine with a 1.7 TC on either a D500 or a D800E when birding. I don't own any longer glass. This combo is very sharp and works nicely with larger birds. I can also handhold this combo.

11517-12-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jeff - or anyone, I'm trying to get my head around this, but having never had a DX body until recently I'm not sure I understand it. With the 300 2.8 on a DX body, you get the "equivalent" of 450mm on a FF body?? Is that correct? I confess, I don't get the increase to 450mm, but if that's what people say I can live with it. Is it still f/2.8? or does it drop to f/4 when put on a DX body? I tried reading up on this last night and this morning, and I came away more confused. thanks...

Real Name
Jeff
Jeff - or anyone, I'm trying to get my head around this, but having never had a DX body until recently I'm not sure I understand it. With the 300 2.8 on a DX body, you get the "equivalent" of 450mm on a FF body?? Is that correct? I confess, I don't get the increase to 450mm, but if that's what people say I can live with it. Is it still f/2.8? or does it drop to f/4 when put on a DX body? I tried reading up on this last night and this morning, and I came away more confused. thanks...
Yes it is the eqivalent if 450mm on a DX body and it remains a f2.8 until you start adding TC’s.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Explained here.....

The f stop of the lens does not change. You are essentially getting a FOV of an FX image that has been cropped.....so it appears as if the focal length of a 300mm lens is that of a 450mm lens.....

It arrived Friday (I was out of town). RRS foot arrived today so I could try it out. Amazing lens, I've never had anything that was this fast at locking AF, super sharp wide open on my D500, and it appears to stay sharp with the 1.4x and 1.7x TC's attached. Only thing I don't get is it came with this piece of what looks like hard foam wrapped in black cloth and sewed shut, whatever it is it came in it's own plastic bag. Not sure what it's for.

Real Name
Dan
Interesting timing on this topic. I recently sent my 500 f4 in for service. When it came back I broke out the LensAlign to run it through the paces. While I had things set up I decided to put the 1.7x TC on the 300 2.8 and compare it against the 500. I shot them both at f5.6 so a full stop down on the 500 and half a stop or so on the 300+1.7x. I'd say subjectively speaking that based only on the area of the target(i.e. center of the image) there was very little perceptible difference. At full resolution the 500 looked just a bit sharper only showing on the finest lines and text on the target.

I then opened both lenses wide open so 500@f4 and the 300+1.7x @ f4.8. At that setting there was clearly a difference in favor of the 500.

Another reason I did this test is because this summer I'll be going on a 10 day trip via bush plane. The long glass sure is a hassle to haul around if it's not absolutely necessary. The 300 with a couple of TCs in the bag would be easier to travel with and more versatile. I have a basic philosophy that TCs should only be used as contingency and not planned on. But after testing the IQ with the 1.7x I'm contemplating doing it.

Real Name
Ian
I don’t have a VR II (“only” a VR I), but echo what everybody else has said about the lens. Absolutely incredible sharpness wide open at f/2.8, even on the D500. It’s an incredible piece of glass that you won’t regret owning.

Got mine out today, I have this RRS monopod I've never used. Tried it, I think it'll stay in the box, I'm not a monopod person. Went looking for some osprey I've seen walking the dog, they weren't around and then it started raining. I shot the lens on a D500 handheld, not really shooting anything - this was more of a test run
bleedinghearts2-5-10-18.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
. This shot is 1/160th sec at f/5, not sure but these might be called bleeding hearts.

Latest threads

Top Bottom