Nikon 300mm f2.8G ED VRII Lens

Real Name
Randy
Got mine out today, I have this RRS monopod I've never used. Tried it, I think it'll stay in the box, I'm not a monopod person. Went looking for some osprey I've seen walking the dog, they weren't around and then it started raining. I shot the lens on a D500 handheld, not really shooting anything - this was more of a test run View attachment 1602266 . This shot is 1/160th sec at f/5, not sure but these might be called bleeding hearts.
love the bokeh

Wondering about CPL for this lens. Do you have one and does it get much use? I friend who had the Conon version suggested I put one of those lens coat covers on it.

I have the C-PL1L polarizer, although my lens is the previous non-II version. The plus side is that the same polarizer fits my 400/2.8VR too. I use it almost always.

Real Name
Justin
DF1_5787.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Randy
Wondering about CPL for this lens. Do you have one and does it get much use? I friend who had the Conon version suggested I put one of those lens coat covers on it.
I didnt shoot LS with mine so no filter. A lenscot is a good insurance policy, I have one on all my expensive glass

Spotted Eagle Owl in Flight 2ndedit-3578.jpg
A wonderful Nikkor and the current model is probably the best in a fine tradition. See The Thousand and One Nights No.11, and a tribute to Susumu Sato, the genius who designed the current version (alongside the other Nikkor exotics).There is little to add to the posts above, or to the high scores in reliable reviews of this Nikkor - notably Nasim Mansurov's on PL.
If not already, also read his reviews of Teleconverters, for which Nikon optimized performance with this fast prime. I used my 300 intensively for 2 + years, briefly on a D7200, then D500 (one example below) and the D850. And I almost always used it a TC17 or TC2 III.
No matter what purists might say, TC performance with one's telephotos is critical for my stretched budget and flexibility "Out There". This TCF (teleconverter Factor) underwrote settling on the 400 f2.8 upgrade after months of deliberating and waiting years (it was this or 500 f4E).
I sold my 300 after finally getting the 400 f2.8E FL and most recently its sale allowed investment in the 500 PF. Although the 300 is the easier to handhold, I needed the reach beyond 600mm and AF with TC2 III does take a penalty.
This pattern of starting off with a 300 f2.8 as one's inaugural exotic Nikkor (and a very fine lens indeed) probably expalins why they are relatively often found Used after a proud owner reluctantly upgraded.

Last edited:
I always get a lenscoat, not only for camo but more for protection. This UK supplier is much more affordable IME. They also do excellent hides

The custom internal CPL for these Nikkor telephotos are expensive but worth it in tropical conditions or around open water etc, and reduces glare on feathers etc

Jeff - or anyone, I'm trying to get my head around this, but having never had a DX body until recently I'm not sure I understand it. With the 300 2.8 on a DX body, you get the "equivalent" of 450mm on a FF body?? Is that correct? I confess, I don't get the increase to 450mm, but if that's what people say I can live with it. Is it still f/2.8? or does it drop to f/4 when put on a DX body? I tried reading up on this last night and this morning, and I came away more confused. thanks...

It's 300mm f/2.8 regardless if it shot on a FX or DX; it's just that the DX is cropped sensor thus the FOV changes. DOF doesn't change unless you compensate for the FOV; etc.

Historically and currently to some degree DX cameras have a higher pixel density thus you could get more pixels on the subject with a DX camera. This difference is narrowing.

Compare the D850 and D500; if you crop the D850 image to the same FOV you end up with 19.4MP vs D500's 20MP. For all practical purposes it's exactly the same image as .6MP is not that large a difference. There are 24MP DX camera's out there though.

Just wondering if any of the bird shooters here on the Cafe use this lens much? Since my D810 seems to be working fine now (the shutter was sticking on it, but haven't had any probs with it lately), I am going to just keep using it as my primary body and not order a new D850. I also have a D500.
Anyway, I am planning on ordering this lens soon along with all 3 TC's and would like to hear from anyone else that uses this lens and any of the TC's with the lens. Especially from the bird shooters. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Shot with my D500,300VR+tc2....
DSC_6674111718 copy.jpg

Real Name
Ian
I still have my old trusty AF-S Nikkor 300mm 1:2.8G ED and works wonder for me...I use all Nikon TC's?
I've got the original VR version. I ended up getting a killer deal that was hard to pass up, and I'm glad I jumped at the opportunity. The lens is fantastic on my D500's, giving me 450mm of reach. I run in to issues with it occassionally with atmospheric/thermal distortion based on the subjects I'm shooting, but I suppose I would have that issue with any lens/camera combo.

I've also found that I'm not entirely thrilled with the 1.4x TC III wide open. I am however very pleased with the 1.7x TC II when stopped down to 5.6. It gives me 750mm of reach on the D500, and is nice and sharp.

Latest threads

Top Bottom