Nikon 300mm F4 AF

Thinking about getting this for daytime sports to compliment my 80-200 2.8
Wondering how fast the focus is. Also, if I added a Kenko 1.4TC will it still focus? Does it slow it down? Got one friend telling me it might not. My 80-200 2.8 will focus fine with it.

No, not the AF-S. Just can't swing the $$$ for that one. Will be looking at the older version. My 80-200 is pretty darn fast. I cannot see why the TC would cause a problem with the AF. Does not on the 80-200

Last edited by a moderator:
the non afs will be a problem for AF speed

No, it really won't be. It has a very nice set of limiters that can be set for the appropriate range, and within that range it focus rapidly. I've used mine for sports on the D1h and x, the D300, and the D7100 with no problems.

Real Name
Randy
No, it really won't be. It has a very nice set of limiters that can be set for the appropriate range, and within that range it focus rapidly. I've used mine for sports on the D1h and x, the D300, and the D7100 with no problems.

I'll take your word for it but I can't imagine fiddling with switches during a soccer match

great lenses like the 180/2.8 and 80-400afd were simply not usable by sports shooters and I'm not talking Dads and Moms shooting little Johnny, I'm talking shooters shooting 600-800 shots a game for sales

Kinda makes you wonder how anyone shot a sporting event before the days of auto focus. :eek::biggrin::505:

They used sketch artists and did it from memory...!

LOL_3.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

They got a lot of slightly OOF shots that would not stand up today in the days of sterling AF lens like the 300 2.8, 400 2.8 and 200-400 f/4.

fks

Kinda makes you wonder how anyone shot a sporting event before the days of auto focus. :eek::biggrin::505:

The ones who did it with a high rate of success, did it for a living :smile: Amateurs like most of us stopped down and prayed to the photo gods :biggrin:

isn't technology great?

to bring this back on subject, the 300mm AF isn't the fastest-focusing lens, and it's less accurate with the kenko TC attached as can be expected from going to f/5.6. a lot depends on the body; with one of the Dx-series, you can get some decent tracking with the aid of the focus limiter.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom