nikon 35-70,24-120 VR or Tamron 28-75 for street/portraits?

hello my fellow Nikonian's. I would like to ask for input from members who have used the Nikon 35-70, the new 24-120 VR and Tamron 28-75.

I currently have a Nikon 24-70 and though it's a great lens, I don't find myself using it a lot lately because of it's weight. It seems like using prime lens is where my heart is so I will be ditching this in order to fund either a Nikon 85 1.4G or the 135DC.

That being said, I still would like to have a mid range zoom for some occasional street use as well as a secondary portrait/studio zoom lens. I did some quick research on both and they seem to be both excellent lenses, with the 35-70 having a bit of an edge for portrait use IMO.

For convenience, sharpness, contrast and speed, (I know each has it's own strength) which lens do you think gives the best compromise?

The 35-70 has some weight to it also. Sure does perform though.
I saw your thread about this, it seems like you really have a very good copy. Its also one reason why I'm really looking forward to this lens.:smile:

This is push/pull right? Does this still annoy you?

I saw your thread about this, it seems like you really have a very good copy. Its also one reason why I'm really looking forward to this lens.:smile:

This is push/pull right? Does this still annoy you?
Yes it is a push pull.
No not at all, I've gotten used to it.
It's going hiking with me tomorrow morning. :smile:

I have the 35-70 and love this lens. The push pull took about a day to get used to and now its just second nature. I think people make too much of an issue with this.
The lens is extremely sharp and has great contrast. I do find 70mm a little short for doing street people shots, but 35mm is alittle long on DX for scenery street shots

The 24-120 certainly provides you with the range. I recently bought it and am quite pleased. It's now my walk-about on the D700.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom