Showcase Nikon 35mm f/1.4 G AF-S

H

Hartawan

^^ The only ones I've found are the ones on the Nikon site, have you seen it somewhere else??

Just sit tight for another two weeks. They're not currently being sold yet. No lens = no pictures. There are a few rogue sets out there, but nothing substantial.

amazon is telling me the 14th... which is a sunday... I hope they mean the 12th!!!!

not to mention my friend is getting married on the 14th so i would love to have the lens beforehand...

If that happen, i will absolutely nuke this thread with 35 1.4g shots!!

I just got back from a photo expo about an hour ago where there was a Nikon table that had a "prototype copy" of the 35mm 1.4G lens. I was playing with it mated to a D3s.

They wouldn't let me put in a memory card to record pictures (I probably shouldn't have even asked) so I really can't comment on the lens' optical performance. In terms of size it's a bit smaller than the 24 1.4G, and focuses about the same speed, maybe a bit slower (I didn't do a side by side comparison).

I asked about the release timeframe and the rep gave me a very vague answer, but basically didn't know. I seriously question the knowledge of reps at these booths as being any better than ours on the Internet though.

That D3s sure was sweet though...

Last edited by a moderator:

This lens here:

gooe.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from a photo expo...

I was there too. I went after reading your note but still couldn't muster the courage to sneak a card in the D3s to snap some 35mm 1.4 shots.

I'm an AIS guy and don't have much experience with AF, so take this observation with a grain of salt. The 35mm and 85mm G lenses seemed slow to focus, and the 85mm lens hunted a fair amount - it reminded me of the 60mm G. On the plus side, the aperture blades of the 35mm 1.4 formed the closest approximation of a circle I've ever seen on a 35mm-format lens, and the built quality seemed superb.

I was there too. I went after reading your note but still couldn't muster the courage to sneak a card in the D3s to snap some 35mm 1.4 shots.

I'm an AIS guy and don't have much experience with AF, so take this observation with a grain of salt. The 35mm and 85mm G lenses seemed slow to focus, and the 85mm lens hunted a fair amount - it reminded me of the 60mm G. On the plus side, the aperture blades of the 35mm 1.4 formed the closest approximation of a circle I've ever seen on a 35mm-format lens, and the built quality seemed superb.

If I was an AIS guy, I'd be drooling over the release of the Zeiss 1.4. I owned the f/2 and it was a wonderful lens. I just didn't enjoy shooting MF, too many missed shots and hard on the eyes.

If I were to upgrade from my 1.4 AIS I'd probably go with the G because my eye's have been hunting more and more in recent years. But, at $1800 for the Nikon or Zeiss, I'm stoolin' rather than droolin'.

Latest threads

Top Bottom