Nikon 35mm f/1.8?

Real Name
Carl
I am in somewhat of a quandary! I have an APS-C camera, and don't see the need to "upgrade" in the future. I have an older, but perfectly fine 50 mm f/1.8, but on the crop frame camera, it gives the equivalent view of about 75mm. I have two good lenses...the 18-140 Dx and a the Fx 24-85. The question is: What advantages are there to purchasing an 35f/1.8 with the equivalent view of ~52mm over just setting my present lenses at 50mm for the 18-140, and 35mm for the DX lens?
Thanks!:)

Carl, just to clarify something - if you set either you 18-140 or 24-85 to 50mm, they will be equivalent to the field of view of your 50mm. Likewise, if you set either zoom lens to 35, they will both give you the equivalent field of view of a 35 lens (52mm on a DX crop sensor). DX lenses' focal lengths are the same as FX lenses' focal length. 35mm is 35mm is 35mm - a DX camera crops the image to a 52mm field of view.

I think the advantages of the 35mm f1.8 dx are that it is relatively small and light - especially compared to the 18-140 - and has a faster aperture. I always thought the 35mm dx was particularly sharp -especially in the center - though I didn't care for the look of the out of focus areas when shooting wide open.

Real Name
Ken
The 35mm f/1.8 is also going to be a faster lens than either of your two zooms. I do not know what aperture they use at 35mm, but they are probably going to be 1-2 stops slower.

--Ken

When I was on a crop camera, I had the older 50mm f/1.8 and I liked it, but didn't like it. When I got the 35mm f/1.8, it was exactly what I wanted as a good walk around lens.

And this makes sense now that i'm FX. I love my 50mm, my 85mm is fantastic, and I have a 35mm that added an extra layer of love.

If you want to stay with the DX format, then the purchase of a 1.8 / 35 DX can only be an advantage. Today I wouldn't switch to full format FX with a D7500 or D500.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom