Nikon 35mm f2

fks

It's my standard lens on the D3. Sharp in the center, bit of falloff at the edges wide open. If you're considering a used copy, older versions suffer from oil on the aperture blades (not sure when this was corrected). It's not IF, which makes it a bit cramped to hold if you use the vertical grip.

Great lens. Used it for years until I got the newer 1.4 version. Solid performer. As stated check for oil on the blades but I did a quick google fu and found out that it's an easy fix if you're handy with a small screw driver set.

I have one and like it. It's not the greatest lens but does everything I want it to do. A lot of reports of it being very soft at wider apertures and corner sharpness being unacceptable but i've been plenty happy with both aspects (I typically don't care about corner sharpness because, well, it's unimportant).

love mine
its a non-D made in Japan version and its plenty sharp
maybe not the best "boke", but doesn't matter to the way I use it

perfect street lens, usually use it F2.8-4
small, light, fast/ close focus

tried the new Sigma 35/1.4 lens and its just too big/ front heavy for walking about the city..

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks folks, I will likely pick one up to try, as much as I'd like the Sigma 35mm or Nikon 35 f1.4 I'd rather have the smaller 35 f2 just now for travel (and cost!)

I like mine and I always carry it with me.

I had a 35mm f/2D for a couple of years and really enjoyed it. Performance wise it can hold its own but I found I'd always have to stop it down to 2.8 or so for better results. I loved the size, it was perfect for when you didn't want to have a larger lens. In the end I replaced it with the Sigma 1.4 and haven't looked back (the Sigma hardly ever comes off of my camera, the size is a trade off but it's not that big and considering the results it gives me it's a trade off I'm more than happy to make). Price wise you can't beat the 35mm f/2D and it would be right at home on your D600.

Good lens. I had it for a while but didn't like the focal length.

It's a perfect example of how internet frenzy can overblow a problem. The oil on the aperture blade issue was solved by the time the D version came out. It was very popular and the "forgotten IT lens of the moment" from about 2008-2010. Then people started the internet claims of, "not as good as the Sigma 30 f/1.4," and, "The newer Nikon 35 f/1.8 (DX) and 35 f/1.4 (FX) are better."

Still, it's a great lens.

I had both the 35mm f/1.8 and the f/2 at the same time and preferred the f/2...the f/1.8 just didn't work as well or look any better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I tried the Sigma 35mm f1.4 v the Nikon 35 f2 and I've decided to keep the Nikon for now, for travel its a better size and its cost me much much less (£200 used), I will buy a Sigma at some point but later in the year as a rationalisation of my 20/24/35/50.

I love the 35 f/2. I wish they would do an AFS update. The size of the lens is what makes it unique. I just want an AFS version so I can use it with my bodies that don't have a focus motor.

Sharp lens. You can do some fun things with it. These were all shot with the D3s at f/2.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom