Nikon 36-72 f3.5 Series E

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Coresounder, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Just got this lens in and heres a little review for whoever might be interested.
    This is a small, compact lens only 52mm. It is also very light, but made out of steel. The mechanics are very simple, push-pull zoom.
    I'm thinking the person who designed this was the same for the newer 35-70 2.8. The 35-70 2.8 is much more beefy though.
    Here's what surprised me, the optics are of a very high grade. I have read a few
    notes from past users that the optics are on par with the much more expensive lenses. This little lens is even sharper than the more beefy, larger lens size Vivitar 35-105 that I recently made a review on.

A great little lens. I don't think I've ever seen a zoom this compact,
    with such good quality.
    I don't have a picture of the lens, but I do have one I took with the lens.
    [​IMG]

2. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    How do you find the contrast? The coatings on series-E lenses were not as good as the Nikkors.

This lens probably is based on the older classic 43-86/3.5 zoom, which has a similarly weird focal length, 2x zoom ratio, constant f3.5 aperture, 1.2m close focus distance and one-ring push-pull design with the "rainbow" depth of field engravings (one small difference is that they zoom in opposite directions). The 36-72 focal length reflects the trend in the 1980s for zooms with shorter focal lengths, and also the need for a standard-zoom companion for the series-E 75-150 (also a good lens).

The main disadvantage is the 1.2m minimum focus distance which is rather long for a 36-72mm lens.

3. I found the contrast to be good. I've seen better, however, I've seen a lot worse. Shooting at 3.5 it goes soft and the contrast goes down, stopped down a bit, it does quite well. Yes, the 1.2m minimum is a bummer, but I've got other lenses for the close stuff. It does very well at the 36mm mark and that's were I need it most.