1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 400e - replacement foot or a plate ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Randy, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    I need a replacement foot or a plate ?
    On my 500e I went plate because the top of the standard foot is a soft rubber
    I'm leaning towards a plate for the 400 also
    I'm curious what everyone is doing

2. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    I put a RRS foot on my 400 E. It has a radiused top and is very comfortable to use carrying the lens when in the 12 O'clock position. The RRS seems to be a stiffer foot than the Nikon version. I also have a Kirk replacement foot with their sure grip coating and some padding as well on order for my 180-400mm. The Kirk is due here this Wednesday and I will provide you my impressions then.
    Kirk:
    Replacement lens foot with KES Sure Grip coating for Nikon 400mm f/2.8E AFS FL ED VR lens - Replacement lens foot for Nikon 400mm f/2.8E AFS FL ED VR - 400mm f/2.8 E AFS FL ED VR - Nikon Auto Focus - Lens Mounting | Kirk Photo

3. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    I ordered the Wimberly, it's an inch longer. I usually order what matches the head but RRS is out of stock anyway (the 400 will live on the mh-01 head)

4. Have you held the 400E yet?

5. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    yes, Bill borrowed one at Santa Clara and I shot it for a few minutes, all HH, a rather shocking experience coming from the VR

6. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    The only time my 400 E is on a tripod is during an AF tune session. I have spent up to an hour shooting it HH while paralleling a Grizzly male through Black Tail Pond area of YNP. Then I had to walk back to the car. Randy you are going to love the weight!!!

7. +1 But if it's gonna live on the mh-01, the weight issue is academic. I shoot mine on the mh-01 and it handles similar to the VR.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    not really, I walk the sidelines the whole game as the offense changes. I always shoot 15 yards in front of the offense so the walking with less weight is significant. and even more important the rig won't try to pull away from me on the monopod because the 400vr was so front heavy
    I hadn't even considered HHing it but I used to hold the 500g which is the same weight. The 500e weighs what the 300vr weighs and is a dream for BIF.

9. I walk the sidelines as well with the 400 over my shoulder but the weight savings is always nice. Haven't noticed any difference in IQ compared to the VR version though although that means stellar.

10. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    Some reviews say the vr version is slightly sharper

11. Maybe shooting test charts, but for field sports same same IMO.

12. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    I figured as much
    The VR set a high bar

13. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    I just received a Kirk replacement foot #LP-63SG it fits the 180-400 and the 400mm E and 800mm E. It is 1 3/4 inches longer than the Wimberley foot for my 800mm (Ap-542) and 1 1/2 inches longer than the RRS for the same lens.
    I was doing a little research for a foot for my 180-400 and when looking at Kirk, which has a model # for each foot (not just the lens description) , the 180-400, 400 E, 500 E, 600 E and 800 E all use the same foot. This is nice to know when there are a lot of used feet laying around. I have Jobu, RRS, Wimberley and Kirk feet laying around that fit the Nikon super telephone E glass.

14. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    I got the Wimberley, an inch longer than RRS

RRS feet are too short and they won’t admit it
    I sold my 500’s RRS foot for a Wimberley
    I fought with RRS. About the 200-500 foot and they said it was fine, 2 months latter they released a longer version.
    The 80-400 foot is way too short.
    I’m done with RRS after many years and lots of cash.

15. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    I have replaced the RRS replacement foot on my 400 E and 800 E with Kirk. It is 1 and 1/2 inches longer and has an anti slip surface.

16. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    I’m surprised no one at RRS hasn’t addressed this especially considering how light gripless bodies are now. The RRS feet can force you 1/2 off the foot not to mention they’re knuckle breakers for handles. I went back and forth on the 200-500 foot with them and they treated me poorly and lied

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.