Showcase Nikon 400mm f/2.8 G ED VR AF-S

West coast of FL (formerly Westchester County, NY)
I know that I have posted these before, but these were taken with ta loaner lens. Needless to say, I now own one.

2129325407_00328dc720_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2129325565_beb510b135_o.jpg

2130101818_1a8005dba0_o.jpg

RickW,

Man oh Man !!! Looking at those images just proofs why this is the ultimate tele for me. I would chose this one above the 5 & 600mm any day of the week :) A 2.8 prime blows the competition away.

Great great stuff, the detail on the lions head is just fantastic.

Regards

Johan

Greg,
seems to me that you again on a lenslust tour :smile:

Here are some with the AFS 400mm/2.8 Type I.

These pictures were done when I was with my little girl for a weekend visiting the greatest love of all. She even wrote me a 5 page business plan with her being 12 years at that time, why and how we as a family should buy exactly this horse. We didn't buy it in the end, but I offered her to spend a long weekend only with her and the horse she was so in love with. I did not want to interfere in this tender relationsship and stayed quite far away, using the 400mm/2.8. Here we go - Eldorado ....

original.gif

View attachment 233047

I really recommend to look at this High Resolution version to appreciate the quality of the lens.

View attachment 233048

More pics from this weekend - http://www.pbase.com/andrease/eldorado

From all the lenses in my arsenal, the 400/2.8 is the best (IMHO)

Enjoy,
Andy

West coast of FL (formerly Westchester County, NY)
"glad you bought the lens"

Not as glad as I am......:)

By the way - one of those shots (forgot which one, but I will try to look at the exif, was shot with a 1.4TC on the 400.

Simply awesome piece of glass - especially since I use it primarily for sideline sports.

Just two comments:

1. As good as it is, it would not be my first choice if I were shooting, say, birds. Believe it or not, 400 is just too short for little critters, so make sure you consider how you plan to use the lens. Sharpness and bokeh are not always the most important criteria - especially if the lens is too short.

2. Go to the gym and start working out now. Carrying the sucker and the requisite big legset and Sidekick or full Wimberley is not one of life's joys.

Greg,
seems to me that you again on a lenslust tour :smile:

Here are some with the AFS 400mm/2.8 Type I.

These pictures were done when I was with my little girl for a weekend visiting the greatest love of all. She even wrote me a 5 page business plan with her being 12 years at that time, why and how we as a family should buy exactly this horse. We didn't buy it in the end, but I offered her to spend a long weekend only with her and the horse she was so in love with. I did not want to interfere in this tender relationsship and stayed quite far away, using the 400mm/2.8. Here we go - Eldorado ....
Enjoy,
Andy

Andy...
now you are just taunting me... :tongue:
first the 200-400 images, and now these
1. the story about your daughter and that "5-page business plan" is priceless
2. the full-red image is breathtaking

3. do you still shoot both lenses?
if so... which do YOU prefer?

Andy - your second shot with your daughter nuzzling the horse is just to die for. Forget the image quality and all of the technical stuff; the "moment" is what makes the shot.

Just perfect!! One to be treasured.

yeah...
captures with that much feeling are rare, indeed

Andy - your second shot with your daughter nuzzling the horse is just to die for. Forget the image quality and all of the technical stuff; the "moment" is what makes the shot.

Just perfect!! One to be treasured.

Thank you Rick for the kind words - it was really a special moment for me, watching both of them - a real privilege.

The story goes on, though.

The horse (Eldorado) was eventually bought by somebody else and as you can imagine it was not easy for my girl to overcome the sadness. We found a new opportunity with her to ride horses close to the place we live. We got an arrangement with a horse trader, who owns between 10-15 horses. These horses need to be moved and trained. Now she has 4-6 times a week the opportunity to ride different horses.

A couple of weeks ago we were in Thailand on vacation. In a town south of Bangkok (Hua Hin) she could rent horses to ride on the beach. As it was off-season, she did enjoy being the only one on the beach :smile:

original.gif

Andy

andy...
these images... and that continuation of the story... have made my day
uplifting and heartwarming... so glad to have you back here
LOVE this shot, as well

Andy...
now you are just taunting me... :tongue:
first the 200-400 images, and now these
1. the story about your daughter and that "5-page business plan" is priceless
2. the full-red image is breathtaking

3. do you still shoot both lenses?
if so... which do YOU prefer?

Greg,

I would never dare to taunt you :smile:

The Business plan is a master piece in itself. It was really a complete plan. The goals, the benefits for her and the rest of the family, financing the acquisition of the horse, how to find operational budget for the continuing costs, the social implications for the family and so on. Done on her computer in Word and Excel - amazing.

To the lenses:
Yes I do own and shoot both lenses. It is so hard to give recommendation ,as it depends on many factors. Quality, versatility, etc.. On a cost-benefit scale I'd recommend that you take a very close look to the zoom, it's lighter, offers more flexibility. The f/4 is not a real problem - as you have the D3 at your disposal.

Having said that - my next big lens will be the AFS 400/2.8 VR :biggrin: I already have the AiS, AFI and AFS Type I version, but the VR one seems to be exemplary. :rolleyes: I had a chance to get a AiS 300/2 earlier this year, so the VR has to wait.

regards,
Andy

Greg,

I would never dare to taunt you :smile:

The Business plan is a master piece in itself. It was really a complete plan. The goals, the benefits for her and the rest of the family, financing the acquisition of the horse, how to find operational budget for the continuing costs, the social implications for the family and so on. Done on her computer in Word and Excel - amazing.

To the lenses:
Yes I do own and shoot both lenses. It is so hard to give recommendation ,as it depends on many factors. Quality, versatility, etc.. On a cost-benefit scale I'd recommend that you take a very close look to the zoom, it's lighter, offers more flexibility. The f/4 is not a real problem - as you have the D3 at your disposal.

Having said that - my next big lens will be the AFS 400/2.8 VR :biggrin: I already have the AiS, AFI and AFS Type I version, but the VR one seems to be exemplary. :rolleyes: I had a chance to get a AiS 300/2 earlier this year, so the VR has to wait.

regards,
Andy

hmmmmmmmmmmm
what to do
what to do
what to do

the D3 will make the f/4 work on the 200-400
i imagine it would have been nearly impossible to shoot on that kayak with the 400/2.8.... so heavy

a time and place for everything, as you say

as for the "master plan" about the horse....
sounds like she takes after her dad..... right? :biggrin:

hmmmmmmmmmmm
what to do
what to do
what to do

the D3 will make the f/4 work on the 200-400
i imagine it would have been nearly impossible to shoot on that kayak with the 400/2.8.... so heavy

a time and place for everything, as you say

as for the "master plan" about the horse....
sounds like she takes after her dad..... right? :biggrin:

The 400 on a kayak? Just don't lean over with it :biggrin: It's more the question, how much risk are you willing to take. I had all my gear (2 bodies, 4 lenses in a normal LowePro Minitrekker. Closed when paddling (we had saltwater!), fast to open - but no more protection. Otherwise it would have taken ages to unload all the stuff from a waterproof bag for pic and than storing it away again to paddle to the next spot.

Give the 200-400 a try, I think you will like it. The 400/2.8 is significantly heavier. The real contender to the 200-400 from my perspective is the AFS 300/2.8 VR, not the 400VR.

All those decsions, ......
Andy

The 400 on a kayak? Just don't lean over with it :biggrin: It's more the question, how much risk are you willing to take. I had all my gear (2 bodies, 4 lenses in a normal LowePro Minitrekker. Closed when paddling (we had saltwater!), fast to open - but no more protection. Otherwise it would have taken ages to unload all the stuff from a waterproof bag for pic and than storing it away again to paddle to the next spot.

Give the 200-400 a try, I think you will like it. The 400/2.8 is significantly heavier. The real contender to the 200-400 from my perspective is the AFS 300/2.8 VR, not the 400VR.

All those decsions, ......
Andy
you were very brave, indeed
i like your perspective on the 300 vs. 200-400 and not the 400/2.8
thanks, once again

Real Name
Randy
Lusting after this lens, once again
please show us your best AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR shots

thanks, as always, in advance

i guess this is payback for my 300/2.8 thread
i got a bad case of LL for this one also

Real Name
Randy
I know that I have posted these before, but these were taken with ta loaner lens. Needless to say, I now own one.

2129325407_00328dc720_o.jpg

2129325565_beb510b135_o.jpg

2130101818_1a8005dba0_o.jpg

it's simply wrong of you to post these again
IQ on these is IMO off the charts, not even topped by the 200/2

Latest threads

Top Bottom