nikon 50 f/1.8 is it good

Hello...

Question about the nikon 50 f/1.8 is it good / excellent? should I go for it or not?

How about if compare to the 50 f/1.4? I know I can tell the different on the price but I may little crazy, I think 1.8 should be good for me, any user opinion?

I am planning to use it with the D300. Thanks for your opinion.

By the way, do anyone know that does this len have 2 version of it?

Yes it is good

Really really sharp and for the price it is the best value in the Nikon line up, it is good?? No it is excellent actually - go for it. It is THE lens which made me discover the joys of using primes all over again.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 226291

View attachment 226292

R

rocketliv

I absolutely love my 50mm 1.8. I get the clearest eye's and complexion! The photos come out sharp!!!

YES, YES, YES!! It's an amazing lens, especially considering the price.

This is wide open with very little pp outside of the conversion. (taken long before I developed the eye pop)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nikon 50mm f1.8 is it good?

July 24, 2008

I just purchased my second 50mm F1.8 AF-D Nikon lens from B&H out of New York City earlier this month for $110.00.

Lenses like this lens are superb, because their design and optical quality have been perfected over years of use and manufacturing. Remember about 25 years ago, all SLR cameras pretty much came with the standard 50mm lens. Lenses like this are also inexpensive, so the manufacturer can get the buyer "hooked" on buying other lenses that Nikon makes. Beware of the "deadly expensive" Nikon Aquisition Syndrome Disease there is no known medical treatment and or cure. The "disease" has struck me pretty hard.

This lens is super sharp and according to some photographers it produces professional quality results with outstanding sharpness, color quality, contrast etc. Nikon's MTF chart actually rates this lens higher for resolution and contrast then the more expensive F1.4 lens, and this lens is much less expensive then the 2/3 of a stop faster lens.

Put a HR-2 lenshood on the lens, and go out and shoot with it. If you really want eyepopping images with this lens stop it down to F8 to F11 and you will be amazed at the sharpness of this wonderful little lens.

Don't let the $110.00 price fool you. This lens is lower in cost because it is a bit slower by 2/3 of a stop over the F1.4 Nikkor lens, it has one less piece of glass in the design and it is lighter to boot then it's more expensive F1.4 lens. This is a wonderful piece of optical genius in that small lens.

I hope that my comments help you.

Steve Zalewski
Syracuse, NY

awesome and versatile lens. IM doing the July one prime challenge with it and you can see my shots by following the link in my sig.

Id say hands down, get it you wont regret it.

Buy it. Then post the resulting great pictures on this thread. There are many such threads on the Cafe. This one can be yours.

Question about the nikon 50 f/1.8 is it good / excellent? should I go for it or not?
I have some rough samples from my Nikkor 50 1.8 on my site, here, and here.

It's a sharp, nice lens. The only big negative I can mention is the tendency for it to produce a significant bright "spot" in the image-center at higher (above f/8) f-stops. I have samples of that problem on my site, and it has been noted by other folks here. For most things it isn't a big issue, but it's there.

By 1.4 do you mean the normal Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D offered by B&H for $289.95 or is there a more expensive 50mm. If this is it and the $180 difference is ok is there any reason to not buy the 1.4 instead of the 1.8

50/1.8 is a must. For a great price you get:

1. unbeatable sharpness, contrast & colors....

2. ... a great tool for playing with selective DOF....

3. .... and a very capable low-light performer.

The 50mm/f1.8 is the only way to get all of the above for just a bit over $100.

In the opening to this thread exitnine asked how does the 1.8 compare to the 1.4. While everyone has stated the 1.8 is a terrific lens and especially for $100, no one but Nute (it's not the 1.4 but hey, it's only $100 and pro IQ) has suggested that the 1.4 might be better. If this is true, in the long run, if the 1.4 is better, the $180 difference in price (assuming the normal Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D offered by B&H for $289.95 is the lens to which Nute was referring) might be worth it.

If this is true, in the long run, if the 1.4 is better, the $180 difference in price (assuming the normal Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D offered by B&H for $289.95 is the lens to which Nute was referring) might be worth it.
My $.02, again - if the 1.4 is as sharp as, and in other ways as good as the 1.8 and doesn't have that horrible hot-spot in the middle, then the extra $$$ would be worth it to me.

I have an older, manual focus Nikkor 50mm 1.4 and it's a great lens - at this point I'm more inclined to live with the hot-spotted 1.8 and look at the Sigma 30mm f/1.4

I had the 50 1.4 ,sold it, got a 1.8 , and I actually like it more

picked up a Sigma 30 1.4 for when I want 1.4, and it has a nicer bokeh than the 50

YMMV

Are there different mount versions of the 1.8? Contemplating one for my D40, and I'm happy to loose the AE, but can't afford to loose the AE. A lense compatibility chart I've read says I do loose AE on all the AI mount lenses, is there an AF mount 50mm 1.8?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom