nikon 50 f/1.8 is it good

N

Nuteshack

In the opening to this thread exitnine asked how does the 1.8 compare to the 1.4. While everyone has stated the 1.8 is a terrific lens and especially for $100, no one but Nute (it's not the 1.4 but hey, it's only $100 and pro IQ) has suggested that the 1.4 might be better. If this is true, in the long run, if the 1.4 is better, the $180 difference in price (assuming the normal Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D offered by B&H for $289.95 is the lens to which Nute was referring) might be worth it.
Depends what you want.

If you want better, in absolute term, buy the 1.4

If you want the best bang for the buck, the 1.8 is unbeatable.
TRUTH

Hi,
the 1.8 is sharper as the 1.4 - that was on eof the reasons, a bought the 1.8 after selling the 1.4.
tom
PIPE DREAM

N

Nuteshack

Are there different mount versions of the 1.8? Contemplating one for my D40, and I'm happy to loose the AE, but can't afford to loose the AE. A lense compatibility chart I've read says I do loose AE on all the AI mount lenses, is there an AF mount 50mm 1.8?
fora d40 just get a sig 30 1.4 and be happy:biggrin:
@1.4
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

@1.4

:Love:

N

Nuteshack

ya, they should hire me but that's another subject!

@1.4, very first snap on my new d200

@1.4, from the d50

@1.4, d200

@1.4
View attachment 226299
@1.4

@1.4

@1.4

@1.4

thanks again for the entertainment, Tom
:tongue:

N

Nuteshack

gee Tom, those charts are really sexy...ROTFL
:tongue:

u forget i had an excellent sample of the 1.8...gave it to my daughter, she loves it..God bless her:Love:

Hot spot? Can someone explain? It's the first I've heard of this.
I documented it on my site here, and I asked around to see if it was a fluke with my lens. Other folks have reported similar problems with their lenses, and it is mentioned on a few other websites. I'm not sure it's really a problem with the lens itself, but rather the relationship between the sensor and the way the lens is built. The problem, therefore, may change from camera model to camera model - but I'm just guessing.

Update: I tried my 50 1.8 on my D70 and still have the hotspot at f16-22

I got the 1.8 about a month ago and haven't taken it off my camera yet (not that my other lenses are any good, but you get my drift)

How much better is the 1.4 version? And it what ways?

If money is not the object is there any reason to not get it?

Isn't there a metal hood for both these bodies?

SAS

If you want to nute (see pics above) just get all 1.4 versions, saves you a lot of money in the end since you will buy them sooner or later anyway... LOL

On the other hand if you're not into nuting you will save a lot with the "slower" versions :smile:

N

Nuteshack

pp'ed pictures don't show the shaprness of the lens - they show Your impresion of what You suggest is sharp

MFT-Chart of 50/1.8 - lens released 2002:

MFT-Chart of 50/1.4 - lens released 1995:
my pp had nothing to do with those nice pictures..lol
:eek:

N

Nuteshack

If you want to nute (see pics above) just get all 1.4 versions, saves you a lot of money in the end since you will buy them sooner or later anyway... LOL

On the other hand if you're not into nuting you will save a lot with the "slower" versions :smile:
ROTFL Walt ...i just spit in my beer ....:eek:

N

Nuteshack

and that is the measurable reason that the 1.4 is sharper than the 1.8!
harr harrr harrrr.

from the technical view of the mtf the 1.8 is defintely sharper . despite I am from germany or not ....
now wait a minute, i love german. some of the best looking leggins -> German....and those HIPS, my my:eek: ...lol

sorry Tom, this half bred Hebrew c's it differently. owned both the 1.8 and 1.4, same pp all that. and the 1.4 -> SCHMOKES it! PERIOD!

now wait a minute, i love german. some of the best looking leggins -> German....and those HIPS, my my:eek: ...lol

sorry Tom, this half bred Hebrew c's it differently. owned both the 1.8 and 1.4, same pp all that. and the 1.4 -> SCHMOKES it! PERIOD!
Sorry Nute - I had both and the 1.8 is definitively sharper at 1.8... DOF the 1.4 rules but sharpness it certainly does not.

The summary is:
1) Everybody loves the 50 1.8 and the 50 1.4.
2) Some folks think one is better than the other.
3) The 1.8 is dirt cheap. The 1.4 is about three times more, but still cheap.
4) Of course the 1.4 has shallower depth of field
5) The 1.8 is a little lighter and trimmer.
6) There will never be unanimous agreement on which is better.
7) You should own one of them.
8) Plenty of pros swear by both.

Which you pick doesn't really matter. You can always switch back and forth, as plenty of folks before have proven.

N

Nuteshack

Sorry Nute - I had both and the 1.8 is definitively sharper at 1.8... DOF the 1.4 rules but sharpness it certainly does not.
nothing to be sorry about..a GOOD sample of the 50 1.4 is sharper than the 1.8 at every f-stop down to f4 and prolly more..the 1.8 is sharpest @f6.3. that's in another zip code for me ..lol

u also get a shot at some decent bokeh from the 1.4 @1.4. (not so with the 1.8) the 1.4 has more BITE, better contrast, color rendition, all THAT:tongue:

for the xtra $150 or so, it's a DEAL!!!
:biggrin:

G

gorbuchul

nothing to be sorry about..a GOOD sample of the 50 1.4 is sharper than the 1.8 at every f-stop down to f4 and prolly more..the 1.8 is sharpest @f6.3. that's in another zip code for me ..lol

u also get a shot at some decent bokeh from the 1.4 @1.4. (not so with the 1.8) the 1.4 has more BITE, better contrast, color rendition, all THAT:tongue:

for the xtra $150 or so, it's a DEAL!!!
:biggrin:
No, no, no. Correct would be to say, that a good copy of the 50/1.4 is sharper than a bad copy of the 50/1.8 :ø)

But ... how many sample variation do we really see in the prime sector - speaking about Nikon primes? I cannot remember any thread about a bad 50/1.4. When people had problems, it mostly turned out, they were just not used to that thin dof or had problems hand holding.
I read every now and then from you, that you seem to be believe to have a very good copy of the 50/1.4. I don't buy that. I had a 50/1.4 for two years and had the chance to compare that to two other copies from friends and none of us could see any real difference.

I had a 50/1.8 before and got me a 1.4 just to see, if there was more to come. There was little. Bokeh is almost the same just that that "ugly" rendering of highlights is a little tad softer on the 1.4. No gain in sharpness.

Apart from that, I find one is giving away a too much shooting the 1.4 at 1.4. The 50 wins so much on contrast and definition at 1.8 and 2.0 and most of the pictures I see, that have been shot at 1.4, would have lost nothing, if they were taken at 1.8 or 2.0, but would have gained so much more impact. Instead of stopping it just a little step down for that, many 1.4 pictures are pp'ed to extreme sharpness and contrast, often looking somewhat artificial.

Kind regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom