1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

nikon 50 f/1.8 is it good

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by exitnine, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

TRUTH

PIPE DREAM

2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

fora d40 just get a sig 30 1.4 and be happy:biggrin:
    @1.4
    2614649063_6bd6dd9eb3_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

@1.4
    2615343348_91afc11c3a_o.jpg

:Love:

3. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

ya, they should hire me but that's another subject!

@1.4, very first snap on my new d200
    2256347701_8c48cb7892_o.jpg

@1.4, from the d50
    2226628849_247a9213cb_o.jpg

@1.4, d200
    2268885820_47544a38a1_o.png

@1.4
    View attachment 226299
    @1.4
    2283609644_e9feaf4994_o.jpg

@1.4
    2269787756_26945d05eb_o.jpg

@1.4
    2067360036_76c3af1e19_o.jpg

@1.4
    1662370927_7ab4102789_o.jpg

thanks again for the entertainment, Tom
    :tongue:

4. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Hot spot? Can someone explain? It's the first I've heard of this.

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

gee Tom, those charts are really sexy...ROTFL
    :tongue:

u forget i had an excellent sample of the 1.8...gave it to my daughter, she loves it..God bless her:Love:

6. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    To a precision loving, exacting German, they probably are. :wink: :biggrin:

7. I documented it on my site here, and I asked around to see if it was a fluke with my lens. Other folks have reported similar problems with their lenses, and it is mentioned on a few other websites. I'm not sure it's really a problem with the lens itself, but rather the relationship between the sensor and the way the lens is built. The problem, therefore, may change from camera model to camera model - but I'm just guessing.

Update: I tried my 50 1.8 on my D70 and still have the hotspot at f16-22

8. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    I got the 1.8 about a month ago and haven't taken it off my camera yet (not that my other lenses are any good, but you get my drift)

9. I have both 1.4 and 1.8..

Both are excellent pieces of glass.. and its just tough to decide which one to use when...

10. sasdallas

sasdallas

Jul 22, 2008
    Dallas
    How much better is the 1.4 version? And it what ways?

If money is not the object is there any reason to not get it?

Isn't there a metal hood for both these bodies?

SAS

11. If you want to nute (see pics above) just get all 1.4 versions, saves you a lot of money in the end since you will buy them sooner or later anyway... LOL

On the other hand if you're not into nuting you will save a lot with the "slower" versions :smile:

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

my pp had nothing to do with those nice pictures..lol
    :eek: 

13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

ROTFL Walt ...i just spit in my beer ....:eek: 

14. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

now wait a minute, i love german. some of the best looking leggins -> German....and those HIPS, my my:eek:  ...lol

sorry Tom, this half bred Hebrew c's it differently. owned both the 1.8 and 1.4, same pp all that. and the 1.4 -> SCHMOKES it! PERIOD!

15. Sorry Nute - I had both and the 1.8 is definitively sharper at 1.8... DOF the 1.4 rules but sharpness it certainly does not.

16. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    The summary is:
    1) Everybody loves the 50 1.8 and the 50 1.4.
    2) Some folks think one is better than the other.
    3) The 1.8 is dirt cheap. The 1.4 is about three times more, but still cheap.
    4) Of course the 1.4 has shallower depth of field
    5) The 1.8 is a little lighter and trimmer.
    6) There will never be unanimous agreement on which is better.
    7) You should own one of them.
    8) Plenty of pros swear by both.

Which you pick doesn't really matter. You can always switch back and forth, as plenty of folks before have proven.

17. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

nothing to be sorry about..a GOOD sample of the 50 1.4 is sharper than the 1.8 at every f-stop down to f4 and prolly more..the 1.8 is sharpest @f6.3. that's in another zip code for me ..lol

u also get a shot at some decent bokeh from the 1.4 @1.4. (not so with the 1.8) the 1.4 has more BITE, better contrast, color rendition, all THAT:tongue:

for the xtra $150 or so, it's a DEAL!!!
    :biggrin:

18. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    LOL
    zip code :biggrin:
    but so not true
    1.8, I love the slight softness, 2.8 and up..pin sharp..

19. gorbuchul

gorbuchul Guest

No, no, no. Correct would be to say, that a good copy of the 50/1.4 is sharper than a bad copy of the 50/1.8 :ø)

But ... how many sample variation do we really see in the prime sector - speaking about Nikon primes? I cannot remember any thread about a bad 50/1.4. When people had problems, it mostly turned out, they were just not used to that thin dof or had problems hand holding.
    I read every now and then from you, that you seem to be believe to have a very good copy of the 50/1.4. I don't buy that. I had a 50/1.4 for two years and had the chance to compare that to two other copies from friends and none of us could see any real difference.

I had a 50/1.8 before and got me a 1.4 just to see, if there was more to come. There was little. Bokeh is almost the same just that that "ugly" rendering of highlights is a little tad softer on the 1.4. No gain in sharpness.

Apart from that, I find one is giving away a too much shooting the 1.4 at 1.4. The 50 wins so much on contrast and definition at 1.8 and 2.0 and most of the pictures I see, that have been shot at 1.4, would have lost nothing, if they were taken at 1.8 or 2.0, but would have gained so much more impact. Instead of stopping it just a little step down for that, many 1.4 pictures are pp'ed to extreme sharpness and contrast, often looking somewhat artificial.

Kind regards

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.