1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 500 f/4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Herm Wallace, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Herm Wallace

Herm Wallace

Jan 28, 2006
    Cinti.
    My new Nikon 500 f/4 will be delivered today.:tongue: I would love to hear all the good things everyone has to say about this lens.

Herm {Broke}:frown:

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic lens
    I don't have one, but have used one. With and without tc. Excellent quality

I take it you have an excellent tripod for it right:>)))

With tc...850mm f8, iso 100, 1/400 sec, d200, center weight, manual mode

IQ is quite a bit beter than my way sized down for web

3. Congratulations Herm!!
    Gale your photos is fantastic!! I was so tempted to purchase the 500, then my credit card screamed!! Oh well, maybe in 5 years or so!! :biggrin:

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Superb Optics

With the one exception od being used with a TC17EII and then it''s less than stellar.

It performs wonderfully wioth a TC 14EII.

Naked, it's sharp even wide open.

I shoot thousands of images yearly with it and it's simply top of the line glass.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Crystall it is a superb peice of glass as Jim says
    Ya better have the superb tropod to go with it

I will never be able to have either.
    But fun to use when i get a chance:>)))

6. Congratulations! It's a great lens and you will love it.

7. jimgrif

jimgrif

Jan 24, 2006
    Georgia
    You'll love the lens. I have the first version of the lens and it works great. Not quite as big and bulky as the 400 2.8 which makes it a little nicer to carry(although that's relative)

8. Good things in spades. I just want to ask if you have a good tripod and a gimbal head?

9. Herm Wallace

Herm Wallace

Jan 28, 2006
    Cinti.
    I am planning to purchase a Wimberley gimble head. My Gitzo tripod with the Arca Swiss ball head will probably have to be replaced. Looking for suggestions on a light weight Gitzo.

Did a Bird photo shoot in Venice, Ding Darling, and Merritt Island in early March, pleased with the results.

Thanks,
    Herm:biggrin:

10. The 1325 has been replaced by a newer model, but many of us have the 1325 and like it. perhaps you can find a good deal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.