Nikon 500 mm PF VR 5.6 Waiting Times

That “professional membership” ended it for me, I doubt any of those would accept me. Bummer too, I just got two photos published in a magazine and thought I finally had this NPS thing nailed.

Been waiting since October, but now:

My precious is here...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#1 Is it Sharp? why, Yes, Sharper than a beagle's eye.

#2 Georgie Giving the new 500PF the "sniff test"

#3 oh well, I had it in my hands for a few minutes. Now it is Georgie's go to gear. Georgie Shooting birds...

the lens is beautiful and sharp. and it only took six months of Georgie whining at the camera store to get it.... Rarer than hen's teeth they are.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"let's go birding....:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:" - Georgie Beagle

Yes, congrats! I finally got to take mine out for the first birding trip on Friday. Still learning how to get the best results but it was a pleasure to carry around vs the 200-500.

Beagledog, congrats, you’ve been waiting since October. Ah, that means I might see my order filled in 2020. I’m on two waiting lists, however the 200-500 is working just fine for the time being.

I am a NPS member and they only asked for 5 images, and what I shoot, if I shoot for anyone.. web site... nothing more.. fast and simple.. you have to list all your Nikon gear to qualify.

I did like Randy suggested.. signed up for NPS, ordered the 500Pf and 2 weeks later picked it up from my Nikon Authorized store...and I love this lens.. so small, so light, and super fast.. perfect for what I will use it for... hiking in the mountains for wild life.. cannot carry large or heavy glass.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I am a NPS member and they only asked for 5 images, and what I shoot, if I shoot for anyone.. web site... nothing more.. fast and simple.. you have to list all your Nikon gear to qualify.
That is certainly not the application they sent to me! It required a membership number in a professional organization AND either a UPS or FedEX member number!

I did have to have a FEDEX or UPS #.. I spoke to them and they said that is required to ship loaner equipment to us on..
I had one anyway as I product (2) different calendars each year that I sell, so I ship them out FEDEX and USPS... so that was not an issue.
I dont belong to any organization, but I do shoot for Special Olympics, Autism Speaks, Behind the Badge as a volunteer.. maybe that counted, I do not know. for me the application was very simple and quick...I was just worried the 5 images I submitted would pass muster

Real Name
Andy
That is certainly not the application they sent to me! It required a membership number in a professional organization AND either a UPS or FedEX member number!
I got my NPS status approved a couple months ago without a professional organization membership or making any claim as to my professional status. Some sample images and a link to my website seemed to be enough. You do need a UPS or FedEx account (free to set up) because that is how they ship you equipment to try out.

agree andy.. mine application was the same.. simple and fast....that is how I got my 500 PF in 2 weeks... as I preordered via another way and still have no notice it has arrived.. my local Brick n Mortar store said right now, they are filling orders made SEPT 2018... and they just come in one here and one there....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
REALLY OFF TOPIC - but - regarding membership in NPS....

I finally figured out the application form. It says one must be able to do 2 of the following. I was thinking I had to do the first two. (below from memory...)
Membership in a professional organization
2-4 images published in the last year
a website
submit 2-5 images

Well.......... I could do the last two! LOL!

So I submitted an application late yesterday afternoon (my gear total was 2,000 - LOL!)

And this morning I received an acceptance email.

woooHOOOO! I have a free membership with hundreds of millions of other Nikon owners! Now if only they gave a discount on new gear!!!!!

Real Name
Randy
REALLY OFF TOPIC - but - regarding membership in NPS....

I finally figured out the application form. It says one must be able to do 2 of the following. I was thinking I had to do the first two. (below from memory...)
Membership in a professional organization
2-4 images published in the last year
a website
submit 2-5 images

Well.......... I could do the last two! LOL!

So I submitted an application late yesterday afternoon (my gear total was 2,000 - LOL!)

And this morning I received an acceptance email.

woooHOOOO! I have a free membership with hundreds of millions of other Nikon owners! Now if only they gave a discount on new gear!!!!!
20% off service works for me and they seem to go faster with NPS service

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Geez, back early in the previous decade I had to submit a photo book I shot for a studio, (they kept!) my teaching credentials as a fine arts administrator who was in charge of our graphics lab since photography was only my second income, tear sheets from a local newspaper, a sponsors NPS number who vouched for you as a pro, plus the gear requirements and the UPS number. Sheesh, was rather hard to get many years ago. Thought it odd compared to other brands.

Glad things have eased up, it is a nice service, picked up my D3s through them back in 08, had it fast. Same with 14-24 2.8 and 70-200vrll.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom