Nikon 500 mm PF VR 5.6 Waiting Times

Real Name
Dale
Just became an NPS member. I had to list my website, UPS account, equipment, professional membership number, and contract information. I had it all and was approved in about two weeks. On the day I received my NPS number my favorite camera store, Hunts in Manchester NH informed me my wait list number came up and my 500PF arrived. I guess I was a little lucky. I better buy a lotto ticket

I am on B&H waiting list, I have received 3 emails with the last one yesterday saying, they are on the way, coming on a bamboo boat from Asia.
I just received my 5th B&H still on the forever Waiting List notification. The popular Northwest Nikon Dealer in Portland Oregon told me they have 15 on backorder and the last one they received was in January. I’m curious is the issue due to manufacturing material availability given the lens design, or this lens has a longer build time given the number of orders on back log?

I just received my 5th B&H still on the forever Waiting List notification. The popular Northwest Nikon Dealer in Portland Oregon told me they have 15 on backorder and the last one they received was in January. I’m curious is the issue due to manufacturing material availability given the lens design, or this lens has a longer build time given the number of orders on back log?
After thoroughly examining my new 500PF I can confirm that the PF element is made from fairy dust and unicorn horn. That is why they take so long to make....

Sorry to hear you are still waiting. My dealer in Vancouver has received two lenses this year, They don't know when they will get another. Apparently, only 1 or 2 units are coming into Canada per month...

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" l love my 500PF so much I sleep with it on the camera ready to go at a moment's notice..." - Georgie Beagle

The popular Northwest Nikon Dealer in Portland Oregon told me they have 15 on backorder and the last one they received was in January
Huh....
I got a call from "The Popular Nikon Dealer in Portland" just 2 weeks ago - my pre-order from November came in and I ran down to pick it up before they got confused as to who's lens it was......

So they are trickling in....and I'm not sure who's telling you the queue info......

Huh....
I got a call from "The Popular Nikon Dealer in Portland" just 2 weeks ago - my pre-order from November came in and I ran down to pick it up before they got confused as to who's lens it was......

So they are trickling in....and I'm not sure who's telling you the queue info......
I didn’t ask the Sales persons name which is irrelevant. He checked the 500 PF order list and said 15 on order last Lens received was January. He confirmed that I was on the list. It’s good to read a order was filled and Congrats on receiving your order.

Last edited:
I have one for a week that I've rented from BorrowLenses...just to see if it's worth the wait. Wow. 2 lbs lighter than my Sigma 150-600c. So far, super-sharp. Whether that is from the lighter weight handheld or just much better glass I don't know or care. I'm going birding in Belize in October...boy I hope it's here by then. (wait listed since March).

One question - when I click the shutter, there is a noticeable dip down and to the left of the view...like it's pulling. I'm not describing it well but when i snap, it jerks down and to the left. Anyone ever have this issue?

One question - when I click the shutter, there is a noticeable dip down and to the left of the view...like it's pulling. I'm not describing it well but when i snap, it jerks down and to the left. Anyone ever have this issue?
Sounds like what happens when VR engages in normal mode. Sport mode minimizes this behavior. Turn off VR if you don't need it.

I have one for a week that I've rented from BorrowLenses...just to see if it's worth the wait. Wow. 2 lbs lighter than my Sigma 150-600c. So far, super-sharp. Whether that is from the lighter weight handheld or just much better glass I don't know or care. I'm going birding in Belize in October...boy I hope it's here by then. (wait listed since March).

I believe the VR elements recenter prior to opening the shutter so they have a full range of movement during the exposure then after the exposure they probably recenter again. I don't have the gospel on this but I think I remember reading this somewhere....

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"could be right, maybe not... " - Georgie Beagle

Thumbs up for Competitive Cameras in Dallas (800-688-0211 www.competitivecameras.com) I called Eugene on June 28th and he called me back Friday (7/19) with a 500 PF for me.
Less than a month and I had been on a list with three other dealers since April. He did say that one of the dealers I had been waiting on was "not in good graces" with Nikon so he doubted I would see one from them in the near future. I'll have it tomorrow. Shipped free 2nd day UPS and no sales tax. $3599.99

Just became an NPS member. I had to list my website, UPS account, equipment, professional membership number, and contract information. I had it all and was approved in about two weeks. On the day I received my NPS number my favorite camera store, Hunts in Manchester NH informed me my wait list number came up and my 500PF arrived. I guess I was a little lucky. I better buy a lotto ticket
I am curious. I was on the Hunts list for quite a while. I finally joined NPS and got one quickly. I wonder how long you were onthe list as a non member before getting word the lens was in for you.

I managed to find a store with one in stock on Friday. It’s being delivered this afternoon. Either I’ve been lucky or they are starting to appear more often now.

The 500PF arrived, well packed and it is amazingly light. When I heard it was light I thought “oh that would be nice.” My other long glass is a Sig Sport 150-600 and a 400mm 2.8 I can hand hold the Sig all day. The 400 not so much. But this 500mm I can one hand easier than the 70-200. What weight is there is all at the back so it feels a lot shorter than it is. The first few shots on a D500 look great.

Question, how long have you been waiting or waited for a 500 PF? I just ordered one from a Portland Oregon camera store that I have purchased all of my Camera and Lenses from and I was told the waiting list was rather lengthy. I asked if Nikon has filled any of the stores orders recently and was told its been awhile. Not too encouraging and how long is AWHILE?
Started this thread May 2nd and thanks to all who contributed to their length of waiting times, some long, some very short. Today I received a call from Pro Photo in Portland that my Lens order has arrived and it’s ready for pick up. Of coarse I was informed there’s a waiting list so please come and pick it up at the earliest opportunity. No problem.... a few days wait just short of three months, not too bad. Love new Nikon Gear and let the fun begin, hopefully I’ll discover quickly how amazing this Lens has been received.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I think you will find out the moment you hold it what a great lens this is, i have had mine for 4 weeks now and I'm so impressed

Started this thread May 2nd and thanks to all who contributed to their length of waiting times, some long, some very short. Today I received a call from Pro Photo in Portland that my Lens order has arrived and it’s ready for pick up. Of coarse I was informed there’s a waiting list so please come and pick it up at the earliest opportunity. No problem.... a few days wait just short of three months, not too bad. Love new Nikon Gear and let the fun begin, hopefully I’ll discover quickly how amazing this Lens has been received.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom