Nikon 500 mm PF VR 5.6 Waiting Times

Real Name
Randy
the lens gave me the same feeling I got from my D3 or D5, a big WOW like technological breakthru. After the 1st BIF session you come away rejuvenated for photography, the fun is back big time

In Thom Hogan's column yesterday he said:

Based on a casual analysis of deliveries and what's happening with a few dealers, I'll bet that the 500mm f/5.6E PF starts to become more readily available—e.g. off the shelf in some places—within the next month or two here in the US. The lens should be in reasonable supply by the holiday shopping season.

Real Name
Dale
500 pf lens hood issue. If you attach a circular polarizer, you cannot twist the filter without removing the hood. Does anyone know of a replacement hood that has a wheel to adjust/turn the filter? This lens should have had a wheel built in to allow the user to turn the filter while the hood is attached.

I was told by an employee of Breakthrough Photography that they had a new line of CPL's coming that make it possible to adjust the filter when using a tight hood. Not sure if that has happened yet. Here is there number if you want to check 877-762-8427

Real Name
Andy
Thumbs up for Competitive Cameras in Dallas (800-688-0211 www.competitivecameras.com) I called Eugene on June 28th and he called me back Friday (7/19) with a 500 PF for me.
Less than a month and I had been on a list with three other dealers since April. He did say that one of the dealers I had been waiting on was "not in good graces" with Nikon so he doubted I would see one from them in the near future. I'll have it tomorrow. Shipped free 2nd day UPS and no sales tax. $3599.99
On Wednesday, I put my name in the hat with Eugene and cancelled my NPS "expedite request" with B&H. Thanks for the tip.

Real Name
Andy
Update on 500PF waiting time. I placed an order with Competitive Cameras, located in Dallas, TX, on August 13, 2019, and on that day asked NPS to move my priority delivery request from B&H to Competitive. The lens arrived in Dallas on August 26, 2019, and Eugene shipped it to me that day.

Real Name
Dale
I did like Randy suggested.. signed up for NPS, ordered the 500Pf and 2 weeks later picked it up from my Nikon Authorized store...and I love this lens.. so small, so light, and super fast.. perfect for what I will use it for... hiking in the mountains for wild life.. cannot carry large or heavy glass.
Since you have the 500PF as I, have you used a variable CP filter on the lens? I have but have to use the filter without the front shade as I cannot find an easy way to turn the filter with the shade installed. I am still looking for a solution.

FYI - Pro Photo in Cedar Rapids IA called me today to let me know the 500mm Pf I ordered in June is in. I had let them know months ago that I had found one but they said they would leave it on order. So it might be worth a call to see if they still have it. Dave at: (319) 395-9121

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom