1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 500 PF availabilty???

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Allan, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Does anyone in the U.S. have any information on when more 500 PF lens will be available?

I ordered on 9/18 and sold my 150-600 and 200-500 zooms expecting that I would have it by now.

No one can tell me anything, neither internet or local retailers. I would certainly like to have mine in another month but I am having my doubts

2. I've checked several local places out here and I get the same response.

3. bnk190

bnk190

Sep 27, 2008
    SE Wisconsin
    I'm not understanding Nikon's marketing on this one. It's been close to 3 months I believe since the launch and you still can't find a lens in stock. Is the demand that big that stores are selling out the moment that they get the lens in stock? If that was the case I would think we would be seeing more field reports by now and I'm not even seeing a lot of those expect for the "pros" doing their review.

4. I'm sure it was all hands on deck for the Z series launch. People have no trouble finding them so launch stock was high. Maybe now that they're past that launch they can work on producing more 500 PF's.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Two different production lines, I doubt there is any connection. Limited supplies go to NPS first. The D850 is finally in stock at most places after almost 18 months.

6. The 24-70S didn't come from the lens side of the business? What's readily available are all kits. Try to find body only.

7. While out with my camera two days ago chatted with a gentleman who claimed that Nikon vastly underestimated the popularity of this particular lens. He is on a waiting list and has been told by his retailer to expect as long as a 14 month wait. Should mention that I am in Canada so it may be different in other locations.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  8. That is what I am afraid of.

9. socrdude

socrdude

Jun 5, 2009
    USA-Today
    My local Camera store (ProPhoto) in Portland stated the order time is 3- 6 months (Estimated) and they still had a list of folks whom pre-ordered and not received theirs yet.
    I called every Rental Gear Place that I came up with and none-had this lens YET for their rental. But they told me, it was on Backorder.

10. I just wished I had kept my 200-500 for the time being.

11. crash141

crash141

Jan 24, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I was just notified by Roberts Camera my lens is in. It ships today and I'll have it tomorrow. I put my name on the list when the lens was first announced.

12. Great for you Matt. Do you remember the date you put your name on the list?

13. crash141

crash141

Jan 24, 2009
    SW Ohio
    It was August 24

14. Thanks. You ordered about a month before me.

15. Wanna
    Wanna buy mine:) 

16. No, I want the 500. I can use my 80-400. I did that a few years ago when I mistakenly brought it instead of my 200-500.

17. So a little bit outside of the scope of this thread but I tried this lens at Bosque, a guy from Texas that had bought two of them, one for himself the other one for his mother. They where both there with thier 500 PF mounted on D5's. If I may say the money involved was not much of a consideration for them....

The lens is super small and light, hard to fathom it can be that small. Af speed is good, and IQ seems very good. AF speed slows down considerably (with a D5) when you add a TC14 he said. This is the only issue with this lens, I would so much have preferred either a 400 F4 or a 500 F4 so one could have used TC better.

18. Thanks for that information. I am sure I will like the lens once I get one.

19. I hear my 500Pf will be here for Christmas.... Christmas 2019....

I can't stand the wait...

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

"oh mom, it is just a lens.... it is not a matter of life or death... Wait a minute, maybe it is more important than that" - Georgie Beagle

• Funny Funny x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.