Showcase Nikon 500mm f/4 E VR

Discussion in 'Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Randy, Feb 23, 2017.

1. The handling and AF appear to be the big enhancements, not sure yet if IQ is better.
    The difference in how the lens holds is quite amazing considering it's only 2 lbs lighter then the 500vr
    All the weight on the front end of the 500vr has been spread across the whole lens. AF is beyond any expectation. From focusing on a small bird very close to focusing on a bid along way off is instantaneous. And guess what, Nikon finally made a foot worthy of keeping, round edges and a rubber backed grip that feels great as a handle.

I went to the dam today, it's past season but this GBH was cooperative. I am anxious to take the 500e to Florida.
    [​IMG]

2. Dano

Dano

Mar 30, 2009
    Iowa
    Wow, 2-pounds lighter! At our age every ounce counts - all 32 of 'em. Plus all the additional weight saved through a lighter wallet :)

3. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    I really like what it (you?) did with the background in that shot Randy, it's beautiful.

4. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Wow Randy you nailed him. A real wall hanger. I can see that you are enjoying your new lens but take it easy and don't push yourself. Time is a grate healer.
    All the best my friend.
    Mike

5. I can't wait to see the results from your trip down through Florida. Please post lots of photos from this lens.

6. I liked that right foot

[​IMG]

7. Jumping for minnows. Normally when the dam is running water fish get dazed coming thru and the birds pounce on them. Today there were on minnows.

[​IMG]

8. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Wow these are powerful images Randy. Very sharp and a dreamy background blur. It certainly looks like you made all the right choices.
    Regards.
    mike

9. Thanks Mike
    This lens is amazing. Nikon has created a masterpiece, perfect in every way. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer to get one

10. We'll be in your neighborhood, maybe we can meet up somewhere

11. Thanks Rick

These long f/4 lenses create amazing separation, most of my shots today were an experiment at f/4.

12. Beauties Randy, glad you're enjoying your new glass. FYI, the 400E and 600E are tasty as well :).

13. Thanks Rick
    If I go back to shooting football I'll get a D5 and a 400e, what a combo

14. Thanks for your impressions. I assume the improved foot is still not arca swiss?

15. Exceptional....great separation with this lens.

16. Masterpieces as always Randy. You continue to inspire us, and feed our lust :)

17. These are stunning shots, Randy! Can't wait to see more from you with this lens.

18. Correct
    thanks
    thanks nick, I remember when I said $10.3k no way then a good friend offered me a great deal on a used mint copy
    thanks bob

19. Excellent images!

Glenn

20. Thanks Glenn