Nikon 500mm MF Lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jim Strathearn, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Will a 500 F4 P ED INTERNAL FOCUS lens (manual focus) meter on a D70?

Thanks!

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Yes. It certainly does.

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I thought only AF lenses metered on the D70's?

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Thanks!

Thanks for all the quick replies.

6. For Questioning the Master, we disciples must commit seppuku/Hara-Kiri- all of us! :wink:

It's not surprising that if you aren't a total lens geek that you don't know about P lenses... only 3 have been made: 500mm f/4.0P ED-IF AIS, 45mm f/2.8P AIS, and finally the 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8.0P ED-IF AIS Zoom Nikkor.

Although a lens which has only manual focus and is 'chipped', the 85mm PC Micro Nikkor has a 'D' Chip and as a PC lens lacks the AI coupling, so it is just an f/2.8D lens.

7. nfoto

nfoto Guest

More "geek" details are as follows,

On DSLR cameras, a parameter Lens Type is recorded to the EXIF data. This parameter can have the following values
    1. Manual. No autofocus, no metering on D50/D70/D100
    2. AF. Will meter with all bodies, may or may not* do AF
    3. AF-D. Will meter with all cameras, may give AF, may produce distance information to the metering system**
    4. AF-D G. Meter on all DSLRs, cannot be used on many film bodies unless you always shoot at the minimum aperture, has AF and D(distance) features
    5. Type 4. Technically a "G" lens meaning it will need to have the aperture setting dialled in from the camera, but it doesn't need to be set to any particular aperture such as AF and AF-D types. Will meter on all cameras either DSLRs or film-based
    -------------
    * no AF if the chip is implanted in a non-AF lens, or the lens is a "P"
    ** neither AF nor D available if the chip is put in a non-AF and/or non-D lens. With the Nikkor 85 mm f/2.8 PC, D capacity remains but no AF

Of these, Type 4 is the one practically unknown and also the type of high interest for combination with special lenses or devices such as bellows units, mirror lenses, PC or other lenses working with a non-coupled stop-down aperture. This is because there is no need to have the lens locked to a minimum aperture and you can dial in whatever aperture value you wish to have recorded in the EXIF data. So, for example, a 28 mm f/3.5 PC Nikkor can register as a 28 mm lens with maximum aperture 3.5 in the EXIF, and after you have metered and found the lens needs to be stopped manually down to f/8, you dial in "8" as the shooting aperture and that value will be recorded in EXIF as well. Pretty neat although the feature won't improve the final picture :biggrin:

By the way, I'm negotiating a pilot production run of type 4 chips which can be programmed to any focal length and maximum/minimum apertures you wish. The only caveat is that EXIF specifications only allow apertures down to f/1, so with the faster lenses such as the f/0.95 Canon, f/0.8 Kowa, or f/0.75 Heligons or Rayxars, you have to "cheat" for example by setting maximum (and only value) aperture to ten times the real value, i.e. 9.5 instead of 0.95 and so on. Since you do get the proper focal length and these lenses have a single, fixed aperture, it will be uniquely registered by the EXIF data.

8. Thanks again Bjørn. Do you still use your 500 MF P?

9. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Oh yes but not enough I'm afraid. I'm not into birds and suchlike, so ny main application is landscapes. And then I need a weather improvement. No use for a long lens if you can't see more than a few meters ahead.

10. Thanks again Bjørn. I'm going to order it now. I found three used ones and one is in "like new" condition so my wife "ordered" me to get the better one! gosh, I love that woman! :wink:

Our weather here has been less then desirable as well, but better weather is coming; at least that's what I'm telling myself! :rolleyes: