Nikon 500mm

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Muskieman911, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Muskieman911

Muskieman911

Apr 11, 2008
    nowhere
    What do you think? I may get one.

2. What do we think about what? sort of broad question, don't you think? Perhaps if you mentioned what you are planning to use the lens for, you might get some useful feedback?

If you are, for example, planning to use it as a walking around lens or for macro shots, it might not be a good choice. :biggrin:

3. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    w/ a tube it would be great for macros :biggrin:

4. I love mine!!! Never leave home without it!!! I have the AFSII version.

Nancy

5. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    What do you think for 1:1? Maybe 300mm of tubes? :biggrin:

6. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    seriously there are macro shooters here that use it for macros w/ one of the kenkos

now i'll stick w/ the sigma 150 2.8 or the nikon 300/4 w/ 1 or 2 or the kenkos

7. For the money, upgrade your current lenses...

24-70 f/2.8+70-200 f/2.8VR. You'll get more use out of them.

Unless this is a joke which i've taken far too seriously...

8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006

i think he was serious and i think you're advice is def the best so far

9. double :biggrin:

10. from what I've seen here, it is one of Nikon's finest. I'm trying to decide between the 500 and 600 ATM. Good luck with your decision.

11. I think the hood is very large, is on mine. But it's better then that 2 piece POS on my 400 2.8.

12. ".......2 piece POS on my 400 2.8."

Amen to that! The new 400/2.8 VR is just an outstanding lens, but the 2 piece hood....? Awful!!!

13. :confused: It's functional. It's collapsable. Is it an "aesthetics" thing that makes it awful?

14. "Is it an "aesthetics" thing that makes it awful?"

No has nothing to do with the aesthetics. Hell, many times I use a piece of cardboard and duct tape.

What makes it awful is the time it takes to assemble and disassemble. I am pretty handy guy and yet every time I take out the lens from its case, I have to pause and try to remember the configuration of the two pieces and how they attach to each other and to the lens. Then we repeat the same process when disassembling.

Way to much thinking needs to be done, especially if you are trying to set up in a hurry (like when trying to set up the rig when the subject has just landed in a tree for example and will only be there for a moment or two) - or when I am on the sidelines at a sporting event and a sudden storm appears and the lens with the hood assembled and attached will not fit into the case and you stand there in a drenching storm trying to remember how to break it down and get it into the case.

15. Oh, okay. Guess that's why it's fine for me, since I have a Trekker 600 lens backpack which it fits into with the hood in place (hasn't come off hardly at all since I've owned it).

16. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

The 2 piece hood is because the tripod foot is at the front to balance it out. Same as the 600mm.
    I have a RRS replacement foot and leave the 2 pieces screwed together and then reverse it on the lens when storing it. Tight fit tough.

17. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Not to rub it in.:tongue: But the Nikkor AIS versions of the 200 300 400 600 and 800 have awsome hoods. Both built in an add on.
    Rick. I agree, about seconds counting. Hawks will stand and look at your for about three seconds road side on a fence when you stop the car. Thats not very long to get a Big gun(super-telephot nikkor) to the window compose , focus and fire. You got to love aperature priority.
    As far as the lousy hood thing One solution is to have a machinist thread a metal pipe. Hard epoxy it black, glue black mat felt into the inside. Or find someone who works with carbon fiber and spend some real bucks. Nothing good is cheap fast and inexpensive. Pick any two.
    by the way my treckker just fits the nikkor 800 ED-IF AIS with the hood removed and back cap on. But to zip it up there is a bid bump in the middle. And the zipper is really stressed. I wish they made another version about a foot taller so I could leave the hood on with body attached.

Gregory