1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 50mm 1.4 Lens Review on dpreview.com

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Harry Lavo, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Just posted today (9-10) dpreview has posted its review of the 50 1.4.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/nikon_50_1p4_n15/

And to put the above review in context, it probably would also interest you as a Nikon shooter to read as well the review of the new Sigma 50 1.4. Dpreview posted this one mid-August.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_50_1p4_c16/

The Nikon 50 1.4 does well as a classic small standard prime lens. The Sigma does well as a modernly designed prime targeted at low light and portrait shooting.

The new DPReview lens reviews are IMO the class of the field. Really thorough and with the technical measurements presented in easy to understand and interpret visual displays. Plus hands-on attention to other aspects of lens behavior.

If you are a fan of the 50 1.4, as I am, I think you will find these reviews illuminating and intersting.

2. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Yep it's a good review, the Sigma is better but also much bigger and more expensive. The Nikon lens does well considering the age of the design! It's surprising they're review that lens now, as if rumours hold true it could be superseded very soon by a new model!

3. Yeah I read that last night. We'll see if Nikon does release a new version at Photokina. The rumor is out there. Although price wise it will be higher. So the old version will drop in price.

4. thx for the link Harry...

i really like mine alot at 1.4

5. still kicking myself for parting ways with my 50 1.4. but now have eyes for an old 50 1.2 ais. good review though.

6. It does seem weird, but I think the reason they did it was they wanted to be able to compare the new Sigma 50/1.4 to the competition. And there's still only one Nikon 50/1.4 out there.

They already did the Canon, so they'll also review the Pentax soon.

7. loudtiger

loudtiger

Sep 6, 2007
    texas
    when is the sigma 50 1.4 coming out for nikon?

8. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Mine will be here tomorrow :biggrin:

9. Let's us know what you think.

10. yeah, I'm anxiously awaiting this or the Nikon version (ha) for basketball...the early reviews sound encouraging.

11. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    It's a little too late, don't you think?

12. not sure what you're referring to...

13. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Probably the fact that the review of this lens JUST came out, when the lens has been in production for quite some time.

14. Brodman

Brodman

Aug 26, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Mine should be too. Am I crazy, but I actually like the fact that it is that big. The other 50's and the 35 just never felt right to me on my D300 with the grip attached. The Sigma 30 up till now has been my go to for low light. I just hope it lives up to the hype.:biggrin:

15. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    You aren't crazy at all. I am looking forward to its size. The other 50s just look like little toy lenses on attached to the bodies :wink::biggrin:

16. Tim W

Tim W

Mar 10, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    I saw that DPR listed the 77mm filter size as a negative when reviewing the Sigma. I'd actually consider it a plus as it's the size that is used by my frequently used lenses, the 17-55 and 70-200.

17. same here, hope the Nikon version is too...

18. bigshot

bigshot

Aug 17, 2008
    Hollywood, USA
    Doggone it. You guys made me go to B&H and cause trouble with my credit card again. My Sigma 50 1.4 should be here by the end of next week.

That finishes out my kit for a while... D200: Nikon 18-200 VR, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 100mm macro and Sigma 50.

See ya
    Steve

19. Want to bet you're not done for a while?:smile:

I think I have almost everything I want but I check Craigslist four times a day for deals for lenses I don't need!

Ronnie the NAS addict

20. loudtiger

loudtiger

Sep 6, 2007
    texas
    so, any update on that sigma 50/1.4? AF problems?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.