Nikon 50mm 1.4D AF

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Cory Cooper, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Hey Everyone,

I am having an issue with my 50mm 1.4D AF. Last year, I noticed (after a bit of focusing problems) that the coating on the front element looked like it was flaking off or smudged on the inside, not the outside front surface. When viewed at an angle, you can see it plain as day. When viewed straight on or thru the lens, you can't see it.

I do remember a few years back I was getting a funny Greenish "ghosting in certain shots when in direct sunlight.

I had it repaired, yet I noticed it again a few days ago. Does this sound like a defective lens...should I just get on the phone with Melville and ask for a replacement?

Thanks in advance,

C

2. JordanLFW

JordanLFW Guest

Hmm, i've been considering the same lens. Is this a known problem or more of a rarity?

Sorry about your troubles :/

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I have a Nikkor 50mm, f1.4 and don't have any problems....I have not seen any posts anywhere about the problem you describe, (but have not done a search for that) it certainly does sound like a defective lens - a factory defect, unless something happened to the lens......

4. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Thanks guys.

It's a GREAT lens...sharp, fast. It would definitely be a rarity. I haven't heard of this before either.

Nothing has happened to it...never been dropped...it's mint as all my equipment is. Looks like the day I bought it.

Will give them a call tomorrow and see what the 411 is.

C

5. In deed!

So if it doesn´t mind, here is a link to a thread with a comparison of the 50/1.4 - 50/1.8 and the 60/2.8 micro lens - sorry, the thread is in German language, but the picture is multilingual! :)

The picture: [​IMG]

The thread: http://www.nikon-fotografie.de/php/...postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ooo. Looks like the acclaimed 50mm 1.8 isn't spectacular until f/4!

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Try it at Distance

The 1.8 in my experience far surpasses the quality of the 1.4 at distance.

Do you really only shoot close ups with your lenses????