Nikon 50mm AF-S f1.4 in stock again - dumb question follows

Just got an email notice from B&H that the Nikon 50mm AF-S f/1.4 lens is back in stock. Adorama has it, too. I've been waiting on this lens, but before I click the 'BUY' button, I have a question.

This lens is not going to actually be 50mm when used on my D300, right? It's not a "D" lens, right?

On your D300 it will have an equivalent focal length of 75mm. All lenses wether "DX" or not will have a 1.5x crop factor applied to the focal length due to the how the sensor is designed on the D300 and lower bodies.

A "D" lens refers to the cpu in a lens that properly reports distance information back to the camera for functions like metering, flash and such. Both G and D lenses are capable of this. Based on your signature all the Nikon lenses you own are G lenses, as is the AF-S 50mm that you are looking to buy.

the lens has nothing to do with altering the focal length. its the body that effects your 35mm equiv focal length. so it doesnt matter if its a D,G, AI, AIs lens or anything. all lens' will be effected by your crop sensor.

A common misconception. What changes is the field of view. The error has been perpetuated because of a perception that with increased density of pixels "on the subject" compared to the FX sensor it seems like an increase in magnification. There are much better and more detailed descriptions in a few threads here.

I bought one recently and yes, it is a great lens to own. If you ever move to FX you will not need to replace it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom