Showcase Nikon 50mm f/1.2

yet again ... time to dust off this lens ...

f/2.8

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Excellent! jt

I posted this also in the Nikkor MF thread, but I think after nearly a year it's time to dust off this thread. :) I recently acquired this beautiful lens and so far I'm really enjoying its rendering. One simple shot of a bunch of tulips in front of a window frame, wide open:

Tulips
by Markus, on Flickr

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
I posted this also in the Nikkor MF thread, but I think after nearly a year it's time to dust off this thread. :) I recently acquired this beautiful lens and so far I'm really enjoying its rendering. One simple shot of a bunch of tulips in front of a window frame, wide open:

Tulips
by Markus, on Flickr
Very nice shot Marcus. I have this wonderful old lens myself. It's not easy to shoot handheld at 1.2 Is it?
Regards.
mike

Thanks Mike! No,really not. I took a close-up portrait of my girlfriend I really like, but the eyelashes are tack sharp while the irises are already OOF. :D

Still, focusing these MF Nikkors works surprisingly well, it least on a FX body. I like the smoothness of the focusing ring movement. It slows the process of taking a photo down, which is very nice. Also, with portraits, shooting manually focused changed my view towards sharpness-it can still be a nice portrait although it's not perfectly in focus, as long as it e.g. tells a story about the person. Hope that makes sense. :)

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Thanks Mike! No,really not. I took a close-up portrait of my girlfriend I really like, but the eyelashes are tack sharp while the irises are already OOF. :D

Still, focusing these MF Nikkors works surprisingly well, it least on a FX body. I like the smoothness of the focusing ring movement. It slows the process of taking a photo down, which is very nice. Also, with portraits, shooting manually focused changed my view towards sharpness-it can still be a nice portrait although it's not perfectly in focus, as long as it e.g. tells a story about the person. Hope that makes sense. :)
Yes I agree with everything you have said above. I only use it on my D3 and them mostly on a tripod. Just call myself a liar! Here is a pano taken handheld with this lens and on the D300.:oops: I think that I may have posted it before I'm not sure but here it is anyway.

Johnnie Fox's Pub-Web shot. by Mike Skerritt, on Flickr

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Yes I agree with everything you have said above. I only use it on my D3 and them mostly on a tripod. Just call myself a liar! Here is a pano taken handheld with this lens and on the D300.:oops: I think that I may have posted it before I'm not sure but here it is anyway.

Johnnie Fox's Pub-Web shot. by Mike Skerritt, on Flickr
Well i will answer my own question i didn't post this shot here before now. So I feel a little bit happier now?:whistle:
mike

Beautiful! Reminds me to visit Ireland again, we nearly went this April but decided on the Lake District in the last minute (all the nice cottages south of Dublin were already booked ;)).

Good morning Markus. Here are some more shot taken in that little fishing village called Kilmore quay in wexford.
Regards.
Mike
_POR8364untitled-shoot150106-Edit by Mike Skerritt, on Flickr

_POR8361untitled-shoot150106-Edit by Mike Skerritt, on Flickr

_POR8359untitled-shoot150106-Edit by Mike Skerritt, on Flickr

_POR8356untitled-shoot150106-Edit by Mike Skerritt, on Flickr
5-STAR stuff Mike: breathtaking scenes, rendering & post processing. I think it is the best work I've seen you do yet==that's saying something too. Can you comment on the process which brought you to these final images--please? jt

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
5-STAR stuff Mike: breathtaking scenes, rendering & post processing. I think it is the best work I've seen you do yet==that's saying something too. Can you comment on the process which brought you to these final images--please? jt
Now you have me blushing Jt. I reily cant remember fully how I processed them but I will try. I use LR and PS allot I also have the Niks collection but I don't use it very much as I think that the other program will do everything I need but it may take longer to get there. Looking at the images I did add grain and a positive vignette ie white. It also looks like I added a warming filter. I reily cant remember if I did this in LR or PS. I am sorry but I cannot give you a step by step process now but maybe I will revisit them and reprocess one of them and it so I might remember more of the original process. If so I will post eich step here.
Regards.
Mike

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
I might add to the above that the lens is a classic one and one that I had wanted for some time. I am very happy with it and it is one super lens. I feel when using it that I must try hard to get the best image that I can as the lens deserves on less. It is nice to handle a manual lens of this caliber and know that if you don't get the shot that you are after it's your fault you cant blame the af ha ha. I like when using these lenses to process them as if the photo is of times gone by. A step back in time. and that is what I was after in the above images.
Mike

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Here is another image from the lens processed in a very different way I added a cooling blue filter no grain and sharpening. I think added a negative darkening vignette to it. Hope this helps.
mike
PS. I don't know for sure but I believe that the Images are over sharp on this site?

A friendly welcom by Mike Skerritt, on Flickr

I might add to the above that the lens is a classic one and one that I had wanted for some time. I am very happy with it and it is one super lens. I feel when using it that I must try hard to get the best image that I can as the lens deserves on less. It is nice to handle a manual lens of this caliber and know that if you don't get the shot that you are after it's your fault you cant blame the af ha ha. I like when using these lenses to process them as if the photo is of times gone by. A step back in time. and that is what I was after in the above images.
Mike
Interesting discussion of the psychology of using a lens--I agree, one must believe in something before it can bear fruit, a lens is no different. Your discussion of the lens is touching actually--great to see an artists who truly appreciates his tools.

BTW, is it possible to provide he apertures uses in those shots? jt

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom