Showcase Nikon 50mm f/1.4 G AF-S

Starting this as a separate thread for posting images taken with the new Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4G. If you have images you've created with this new lens that you would like to share, please post them here!

I'll kick things off with a few images taken yesterday:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Just picked up a copy of the new 50 AF-S. Having to work on and off all weekend has not allowed much time to play too much but I did find a bit of time today to fire off a few. I really enjoy the 50mm length and have put off picking one up until I could see what the new Nikon had to offer. As stellar as the Sigma performs, I dont think the new Nikon is too shabby. :smile:

This is my first actuation with the lens and the guy that sold it to me....

View attachment 282723

View attachment 282724

View attachment 282725

View attachment 282726

Aperture info please and more wide open if possible! I'm trying to decide between the this and the Sigma based on f/1.4-2 performance.

Hi guys/gals,

Keep the images coming! I sold my AFD50/1.4 in anticipation of getting this lens (or the Sigma).

So far the images look very nice. My gut says there is more contrast and sharpness wide open (compared to the older lens) when I look at these websized images. Any comments from the users on this matter?

still undecided between the sigma and the 50 G.pls do post some more @1.4,which lens has the better bokeh,thanks

How's AF speed? Image quality seems good, but a couple of people who have the lens have said (elsewhere) that the AF speed really isn't all that great - if that's the case, I may as well get the cheaper older version.

Here's one from me

(Nikon D300 + AF-S50f1.4 1/80s f/1.4 at 50.0mm iso360)

BTW:
AF-Speed seems OK but not lightning fast. But more important: it very fast in making these fast small adjustment in the fokus. That's where the old screwdrive was not as accurate all the time.

BTW:
AF-Speed seems OK but not lightning fast. But more important: it very fast in making these fast small adjustment in the fokus. That's where the old screwdrive was not as accurate all the time.
Thanks for the report, Dave! The superiority of AF-S motors at fast fine focus adjustments is one thing I'm really hoping for on this lens. I wasn't expecting super fast AF in general because f/1.4 lenses are geared slower for accuracy and not raw speed. As long as the "coarse focus adjustment speed" is on a par with or better than the old f/1.4D lens I'll be happy. The coarse focus adjust speed on that lens was always good enough for me, but it completely fell apart with fine focus adjust (tracking) speed. My F100 did a good enough job, but my D80 was miserable with it. Your photo looks great! :biggrin:

Adorama billed my card yesterday so they should be on the way shortly to those who pre-ordered early enough at Adorama. All I wanted was for it to be here in time for Christmas, so it looks like that'll happen. :cool:

So far I am not at all impressed with new 50/1.4 from Nikon..I can get the better shot using 24-70/2.8 or 17-55/2.8 lens..Again the price tag is way high for the Normal Prime..Nikon played a clever game that it was not launched with any other tele or wide primes..Otherwise this lens will be lost in the crowd...Nikon wants to get back the investment as quick as possible...

So far I am not at all impressed with new 50/1.4 from Nikon..I can get the better shot using 24-70/2.8 or 17-55/2.8 lens..Again the price tag is way high for the Normal Prime..Nikon played a clever game that it was not launched with any other tele or wide primes..Otherwise this lens will be lost in the crowd...Nikon wants to get back the investment as quick as possible...
A better shot with the 24-70? I'm not convinced that's true. The AFS 50 is 2 stops faster and gives way better results at f/1.4 and f/2 :smile:. Smart mouth remarks aside though I be willing to bet the AFS 50 is sharper at f/2.8 that the 24-70. If mine ever arrives I'll give it a try.

A better shot with the 24-70? I'm not convinced that's true. The AFS 50 is 2 stops faster and gives way better results at f/1.4 and f/2 :smile:. Smart mouth remarks aside though I be willing to bet the AFS 50 is sharper at f/2.8 that the 24-70. If mine ever arrives I'll give it a try.
And (it's like) _whatever?_

It's just another lens.

One more tool. Sometimes better (to use) and sometimes better (to not use.)

Doesn't all have to boil down to a contest.....

I have both (now) and will use them when the time (and feeling) is right.....

:eek::D:eek:

And (it's like) _whatever?_

It's just another lens.

One more tool. Sometimes better (to use) and sometimes better (to not use.)

Doesn't all have to boil down to a contest.....

I have both (now) and will use them when the time (and feeling) is right.....

:eek::biggrin::eek:
Well said Sal.

It's always going to depend on the subject matter, lighting, intent and concept of the shot, etc.

Like a carpenter, we have many tools that duplicate or can do the same job as another tool but we choose one because of feel or a slight nuance that gives us the ability to produce a better result for that particular shot.

Generalizations or comparisons based on one image or someone else's image are rarely important to the masses.

Just my opinion.

If I really want to aggressively yank the background out of focus on something at this focal length, or I really want to avoid using a flash if I can help it, an f/1.4 will get the job done and an f/2.8 just won't. Plus my little D40 with this AFS 50 will fit neatly off to the side of a table at a restaurant whereas that body with the 17-55DX f/2.8 is huge, takes up too much space, and has to be put back in the camera bag and on the floor when I'm not shooting. Since I happen to be at 50mm or so most of the time in restaurants anyways (portrait shots), this 50 will be great! I can't wait to try it out at parks shooting my daughter, and just in general 'chasing around' shots. A tiny little camera body with a fast prime lens is great and extremely agile, not to mention 6 times cheaper than going with a D700 at the moment, which isn't a small body and hence loses some agility factor. And my F100 will finally get to see some more action. I love shooting film with a 50mm prime.

I agree 50/1.4 is 2-Stops better than 24-70/2.8..But D300/700/3 has better ISO performance...for $475 this is too much...

Portability, Compactness, Low ISO capable Camera, $$$ on high ened 2.8 lenses - Again I agree all these factors may compell to go come this Prime.

Again it is matter of individuals preference and requirement for the particular job

Just got mine today, good news is it's 64° today so I could use it right away, bad news it's pouring outside so my fence w/ Christmas lights test pictures will have to wait.

A series of very quick shots. For PP, all I did was resize to 96dpi and 800 pixels on the longest side, no image IQ adjustment (levels, curves, etc). Was more concerned w/ showing the bokeh characteristics for these shots. Then sharpened with "Adjust Sharpness" set to 50%, 1 pixel radius, Lens Blur.

Shot D300 Manual, Neutral PC, in-camera sharpening=2, Contrast=+1, Bright/Sat=0, Hue=-1. SB-800 to camera left. Circle shows focus point. All f1.4 unless otherwise indicated, all EXIF intact.

1. From about 3' away from carolers.

1a. 100% crop of caroler above, UNSHARPENED

2. From about 3' away.

3. From about 3' away.

4. Dove is about 58" away from the carolers.

5. From about 4' away.

6. From about 4' away. F1.8

7. From about 4' away. F2

8. From about 4' away. F2.8

9. From about 4' away. F2.8

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom