Showcase Nikon 50mm f/1.4 G AF-S

Great Coxwell Barn - Roof Geometry

Here's a shot taken with this new lens of mine on a D800E.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Great Coxwell Barn, near Faringdon in Oxfordshire, is an amazing survivor of medieval English gothic architecture, with the most incredible timber roof you'll ever see anywhere.

This place is phenomenal. An absolute photographic treasuretrove of colours, textures, and geometry.

Built shortly after 1300 as a barn for storing crops on a monastic farm, its internal ground measurements are 144 x 38 feet. It's now owned by the National Trust.

According to their information, it is "a tremendously impressive witness to the great age of Gothic carpentry, and of monastic opulence."
The influential victorian designer William Morris, who lived nearby, described it as "unapproachable in its dignity, as beautiful as a cathedral, yet with no ostentation of the builder's art."

More info @ www.nationaltrust.org.uk/great-coxwell-barn/

Hopefully some of my photographs will do it justice!

Nikon D800E /50f1.4G
ISO 100 1" f/7.1, tripod

Full frame shot carefully cropped slightly for composition

More shots on my blog

Cheers,
D

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker

Took a couple pictures of my radio controlled truck this morning. Didn't turn out very well but I wanted to share with others on another forum.

Retro Runner by Lunitic, on Flickr

Climb The Hill by Lunitic, on Flickr

edit: plus one of my brother's new dog, Hugo, a Shiba. A little blurry but the color is exactly what I was hoping for.

Hugo by Lunitic, on Flickr

It's funny how this lens is taking somewhat of a beating in the 58mm f/1.4 thread. I think those that don't like this lens need to visit this thread and see what it can do before they let NAS empty their wallet. :wink:

It's funny how this lens is taking somewhat of a beating in the 58mm f/1.4 thread. I think those that don't like this lens need to visit this thread and see what it can do before they let NAS empty their wallet. :wink:
But one can see in many of the photos in this thread that the bokeh characteristics of the 50 f1.4 G leave very much to be desired! I passed on it for that very reason, but may go for the 58 f1.4 if it delivers as promised.

I know the general consensus(this is where I think price plays a factor) is that the 50 1.8G is the better of these 2 lens but IMO the 1.4 rendering and IQ in general is just a lot nicer.

I've been tempted to sell my 1.8G and replacing it with either the 1.4G or Sigma 50. The Sigma is just so big and it's nice to have a least one compact lens, which the siggy isn't. The 1.4G focusing speed worries me a bit. I may just bite the bullet and get the Sigma 35 1.4.

Just to add to the 'price factor'. I remember buying in to the 35 1.8G hype(twice no less) and never really being thrilled with it(mechanically and IQ wise). Then I splurged $450 for the Sigma 30 1.4 and was absolutely floored not only by its IQ but performance.

I know the general consensus(this is where I think price plays a factor) is that the 50 1.8G is the better of these 2 lens but IMO the 1.4 rendering and IQ in general is just a lot nicer.
I had both and sold the 1.8 for this very reason. Love my 1.4G.

One thing to keep in mind is that the 1.4 G is very poor wide open on the D800. That's the only reason I sold mine and switched to the 1.8. It was perfectly swell on the D700 though. So price is not the only reason that people switch to the 1.8. I would certainly much rather pay the extra for the 1.4 if it was as good wide open.

I had mine for a couple years and used it on a D90 and D700 without any apparent issues. When I got my D800 I could see immediately that the lens was not providing the same results. This is an example of the sharpness I was getting wide open (100% crop):

I tried all the fine tuning I could and nothing really helped. Since selling it I've come across many other reports of the same findings. I've thought about trying another copy just to verify that mine wasn't a fluky dud but I don't read any reviews that say it is better than the 1.8 so I've stuck with it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom