Nikon 50mm f/1.8 Series E

Hey everyone, first post here and unfortunately it is a question! I have a Nikon D3100 and other than the kit lens I have a Sigma 70-300mm and just yesterday I received this lens (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50f18E.htm) which I purchased off eBay impulsively as a prime lens.

So I got it yesterday and am really happy with it though I'm not too sure how to set the aperture on it. I have the camera in manual mode but when I change the aperture ring on the lens it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Has my impulse purchase been a bad one or is there a way to change it?

Thanks all!

Real Name
Mark
The camera doesn't "recognize" the lens so everything needs to be done manually, that means metering too. Basically you'll have to guess the exposure, chimp, then change settings until you're happy with the result. Aperture will need to be set on the lens itself.

The camera doesn't "recognize" the lens so everything needs to be done manually, that means metering too. Basically you'll have to guess the exposure, chimp, then change settings until you're happy with the result. Aperture will need to be set on the lens itself.

Yea I guessed that and was having a play around with it and getting some good results but the aperture ring doesn't seem to having an effect on the image if I leave all other settings the same. Faulty lens?

Doh, just seen the E Series thread down below this thread can be deleted if you want and I'll post my question in it. Sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Mark
Yea I guessed that and was having a play around with it and getting some good results but the aperture ring doesn't seem to having an effect on the image if I leave all other settings the same. Faulty lens?

I guess the lens could be faulty if moving the aperture ring makes no difference to exposure. Do the aperture blades open and close properly when the lens isn't mounted? When the aperture is stopped down does the aperture control lever move freely, opening and closing the aperture?

Seeing as the camera won't meter with the lens I'm presuming Auto ISO isn't a factor? I don't have a D3100 so my comments are general, if it's something related to the camera maybe someone else can chime in.

Hmmm when I have the lens off the camera and hold it up to the light and turn the aperture ring I don't see the blades opening and closing. It's looks as if it's stuck fully open, bad times.

Hmmm when I have the lens off the camera and hold it up to the light and turn the aperture ring I don't see the blades opening and closing. It's looks as if it's stuck fully open, bad times.

If you manage to get the blades to close - and see something that looks like water or scratches (that change position when you open and close them) - then you have oily blades. That's bad. It'll cost you more to repair than to buy again.

But the 50 E is a great bargain. Don't give up on finding a good one on the cheap.

The eBay seller has sold you a dud. You can send it back for a refund.

You could then think about an alternative lens for your D3100. You could get the same again or similar, with the limited functionality that it offers.

Or you could get an AF-S prime that will meter and autofocus with your camera. The AF-S 35mm f1.8G, AF-S 50mm f1.4G, and the newly released, not yet available AF-S 50mm f1.8G are options. These will of course, be much more expensive than a 50mm 1.8E lens.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom