Nikon 50mm F/1.8D lens q's

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by klnyc, Aug 1, 2007.

1. klnyc

klnyc

Jun 24, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Guys,

How are this lens for everyday use? Like shooting tree,building and landscape? I know it doesnt have zoom capability. Any comments are welcome.

ken

2. I agree with Edward. I've tried to use the 50 on a regular basis, but I keep reaching for my 35. The 50 is fine for outside, but a little long for inside shots, especially in our small, overpriced homes here in CA! It sounds as if you are looking for outside, though, so go for it. For $100+-, you can't go wrong. Besides you can probably sell it for close to that if you don't like it.

3. you can start by going through some old posts like this one:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=121895&highlight=50mm+1.8

I like the 50 on digital, I find it to be close to "Normal" for my eyes on digital. I do find it not to be wide enough for some types of indoor group shots, but I find it's overall versatility combined with it's cheap price make it a great lens to own. I use it quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. klnyc

klnyc

Jun 24, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    You know.... I already have this lens for 3 weeks already. I didnt get a chance to use it for outdoor shots yet. I took like only 10 pics inside the house. All the outdoors/landscape shoot was from 55-200 and sigam 10-20mm. Im going give a shot tonight when I get home from work.

btw, how much is the 35mm f/2 runs for:confused:

ken

5. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    I've been saying this for years: the 50 f/1.8 is good and so cheap everyone should have one. Period.

6. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I rarely use my 50, but every time I really need it, I'm very glad that I have it (because using it implies that I wouldn't get the shot with anything else that I have).

7. Some people find it an uncomfortable length on dslrs, but I found the short tele length very useful and versatile.

The build quality leaves one a bit uninspired, but if you can get over that, it's one of the better lenses out there, and it's extraordinarily cheap.

If you don't mind a bit of an old fashioned kick...you can get an older manual focus 50/1.4 for under $150 which will not meter on most DSLRs, but is 2/3 stop faster, practically just as sharp, and has a far superior build.

However, if you want/need the AF, the 50/1.8 is a gem.

8. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    +1

The 35/2 is great! But the 50/1.8 is so cheap that it's a no brainer, and it still gets some use so I'm holding onto it. :smile:

9. klnyc

klnyc

Jun 24, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Only one minus down side is lack of AF on my D40. I need to pay attention on that "green light" on the left side of the VF :Sick:

10. bender73

bender73 Guest

i personally think it's a must have lens for any nikon SLR user. it's fast, sharp, and costs like $100! i love mine.