Showcase Nikon 55mm f/1.2

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Hi All. This shot was taken with the Nikkor 55mm F1.2 manual lens. Please comment and post your examples hers.

Cheers.
Mike.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
http://fam3.static.flickr.com/2509/4082588087_4dec7779bb_b.jpg

Great picture. The bokeh in this shot is unpleasant. Subjective statement of course.

Was this picture taken with the lens wide open?

Chad

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Shad.
(Shocked) I find the bokem to be dreamy and yes it is wide open. But I asked for opinions keep the rolling in.

Cheers.
Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd describe the bokeh as "textured" rather than smooth, certainly gives the lens a different signature from the Noct. It can excellent results but you need to take some care choosing the background otherwise you get rather harsh effects.

L

LSPhoto

I actually like it. has a nice different look to it. but you picked a very difficult background with lots of contrast and points of light.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
I thank you rvink for your input and I do take that on board.This shot was taken looking into the trees with the sun in the background.

Cheers.
Mike.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Thanks LS.I very seldom make thing easy on myself.

Cheers.
Mike.

you never win with dappled light through trees....
Dappled light through trees is usually not too bad. Lenses with so-called harsh bokeh can render them in a "painterly" fashion (rather than a smooth blended effect) which can look very good.

The worst is where there are bright thin branches, wires or lines in the background. This will give double double-line effects in the background, like the picture is crawling with worms :eek:

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Ok Mike, you asked for it...

About this picture: I wouldn't change a thing. I like it exactly the way it is, but of course my taste is a very subjective thing. As far as I can see, you used that lens and the bokeh it creates _in this shot_ very well. But seeing that the bokeh is not as smoot as some Irish whisky I used to drink, it may give unpleasant effects in other shots. Only one way to find out of course.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Always a gentleman Rob. Smoother than Scottish whisky.I shall run trough my photos and pick out a couple as the weather hear is very Stormie with rain at the moment.

Cheers and thank you for your impute.

Mike

I like it...show us some more :)...we get lots of photos from 50 F1.2, some from the 58 F1.2 but not many from the 55mm....

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Hi Sandro. Thats my point, I am looking for people to post there examples of pictures taken withe this lens. I original went looking for the 50mm F1.2 but found this 55 in like new condition and was very impressed.I will post more pics when I get home later on today.

Cheers.
Mike

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Hi All Here is another shot taken of yhe same subject and a different angle. D3 EXP 1/320sec ISO200 at 1.5

Cheers.
Mike.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Ta Bob. I have posted this in the lens lust section also. I am beginning to think that I have the only copy of this lens in existence??

Cheers.
Mike.

Ta Bob. I have posted this in the lens lust section also. I am beginning to think that I have the only copy of this lens in existence??

Cheers.
Mike.
Ha! :D I have one too, Mike, and a lovely old thing it is. Mine is the Nikkor-S Auto from 1971/72 that has been converted to AI, so it is equally at home on my old Nikon F as on the D700.

Check your serial #, and go here to see when made.

I need to get out more with mine, but here are some samples at f/1.2 ...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom