Showcase Nikon 58mm f/1.2 Noct

Well.....years after the 1st post on this thread, and any other on the Nikon Cafe, i thought that it was in order an update.....years ago i made the mistake of selling my Noct :unsure:....which i loved, but after a long period without much time to photograph, i ended up selling lots of great lenses i had...i kept a couple, the 105 F2.5 and took a Voigtlander 58 F1.4 to make do ( and it is an awesome piece of kit....just not the same as the Nikkor....).

A good friend of mine, who has the 1st Noct i tried and was the main reason why i got my AI version, still has it....and i decided i wanted to correct my mistake and get another one....so i made an offer and bought his AIS version....this time i won't let it go..... 😅 Will post some stuff soon when i start using it properly....

Seems to be sharper than my AI version....Aperture ring is very stiff, it needs maintenance ( but i won't be using it much...so not really an issue.... ), front barrel is a bit loose, you can feel and hear the play it has while focusing....nevertheless, clean optics, no dirt, fungus and tack sharp at F1.2. So, not a bad start....

IMG_20210508_091420.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So far, so good....dusting off my F1.2 habits, not an easy lense, shallowest DOF i ever used, but i missed that....well, this AIS copy seems to have two different things my AI didn't.....it's sharper at the only aperture it matters while using this, F1.2....and it doesn't have near as much purple fringing as my other did....so good news....these 2 photos are originally NEF's, processed in Jpeg without processing ( in camera sharpening set to +4 ), the 100% crops are also untouched.

DSC_9144.jpg

Crop 1.JPG

DSC_9071_1.jpg

Crop 2.JPG

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom