Nikon 600mm newbie help please

Hi again, I've re-posted this question to get more coverage. OK I've got a second hand Nikon 600mm ED f5.6. I've hooked it up to my new D7100. All I can get is a black image, not dark but black .. no picture at all. I've looked through the lens and it's clear and the aperture opens and closes just fine. There are no filters in place, no marks on the lens and I can focus on a subject just by looking through it (off the camera). The camera I have set to manual focus. The camera picks up that it is a non chipped lens. I have set the lens to 600mm+F22 in the camera settings. I can see fine through the view finder and focus as well. The aperture ring is set to 5.6 on the lens and displays as 5.6 on the camera. What the heck am I doing wrong? It must be a setting on the camera surely? I swap out to any other lens I've got (100mm macro, 18-200VR, 70-300VR) and the camera works fine. Any suggestions most welcome :redface:

IsamuM

Not-quite-
Which mode are you in? Aperture priority, manual, shutter priority or program?

I'm not familiar with the D7100, but I think you have to be in aperture or manual mode.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
whaaaaat !!!!!! I've read reviews of the 600mm F5.6 being used on D7000 and D7100 !!!!!

Change your camera settings to 600mm f5.6. Not f22. Then put the camera in either aperture priority and the lens at 5.6 or anything you need. Manual should work just fine as well. It's the f22 in the non-CPU setting that is messing you up.

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Change your camera settings to 600mm f5.6. Not f22. Then put the camera in either aperture priority and the lens at 5.6 or anything you need. Manual should work just fine as well. It's the f22 in the non-CPU setting that is messing you up.
After some more research, I concur with the above.

Found this on the Nikon USA site....

The following accessories and non-CPU lenses CAN NOT be used with the D7100:
• Lenses that require the AU-1 focusing unit (400mm f/4.5, 600mm f/5.6, 800mm f/8, 1200mm f/11)

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18481/~/what-lenses-can-i-use-on-the-nikon-d7100%3F
That's the old non-AI 600 5.6. It was made before (or slightly before I should say) ED glass even came out. The very first ED lens was made in like 75, it was a 300 f/2.8 and is today a collectors item. If his lens says ED then it's either AI or AIS.

+1. And just to be crystal clear you need to adjust aperture on the aperture ring. The camera will not control the aperture, you have to do it manually.

That's the old non-AI 600 5.6.
If it's pre-AI, isn't there some risk of damage from the mount? I've heard version storages, the lack of AI cutout on the ring, that some had deeped penetration into the body and the mirror would hit. I don't know what's true; can someone comment on whether there is a physical damage risk for non-AI lenses on post-AI bodies?

If it's pre-AI, isn't there some risk of damage from the mount? I've heard version storages, the lack of AI cutout on the ring, that some had deeped penetration into the body and the mirror would hit. I don't know what's true; can someone comment on whether there is a physical damage risk for non-AI lenses on post-AI bodies?
Depends on the body you put it on:
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/other/compatibility.html

Some do have a problem. This lens sounds like it is an AI version.

Yes it is true if a pre-AI lens that hasn't been modified is mounted to a D7000 it can potentially damage the mount. However I was responding to the poster known as 'enough' who stated that the 600 f/5.6 with the seperate focusing unit wouldn't work on the D7000. Which is true, but the OP stated his lens was an ED lens so it's not an old pre-AI lens. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Providing the OP is correct in stating that his lens is indeed an ED lens then it will safely mount on his camera and properly function.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
right ... all sorted .. finally had time to have a play .. yes that was the problem .. manual lens input had to be f5.6 .. now with camera in shutter priority and manual focus control I've finally got images .... nice .. BIG .... CLEAR ... images :smile::Love::biggrin:
Thank you one and all for all your help.
Now if only it would stop raining :mad:

Great to hear - start posting some images with that nice glass.

To answer another question a few posts up regarding non-AI glass..... My simple method is:

If it is original F, Non-AI, or Pre-AI - I won't mount it on any of my current camera bodies without fully researching the combination. In most cases - this will be a resounding not able to mount. Butt - and there are butts...... You can adjust/modify the mount (either on the lens or camera in certain cases) to accept the combination. Some cameras like the D40 (simple) won't at all.

I have taken Non-AI lenses and converted them to AI'd lenses and they work great. Find the conversion ring and you are good to go. In most cases however, if you find an AI lens and newer, you should have no problem using them on the newer cameras.

Enjoy and have fun doing the research.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom