1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 60mm F2.8 micro AFS: bokeh

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Leif, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    I've been using the Nikon 60mm F2.8 AFD lens for the last 15 years, and whilst it is a wonderful lens, it does have iffy bokeh when there is a lot of fine detail in the background. Basically it can look rather busy and confused. Does anyone have any feedback on how the new lens performs? I'm a bit unhappy that it is a G lens, but if the bokeh sings, I might go for one.

2. I've got this lens (had it on the Classfied and no one bought it!), I could try to do a bokeh test, what are you looking for (I don't have the original to do a 1:1)

3. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    It is hard to describe, but when I photograph a fungus at ~F11 or F16 with the camera at ground level, the background is of course blurred. But the blur is rather confused, and harsh.

So, is your mention of the previous location of your lens a hint? :biggrin:

4. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    I know what you mean. I've never used the 60/2.8 for anything but macro for this reason. Everything is jagged and unpleasant.

5. For that sort of blur, you probably really want a longer focal length, a 90mm lens at 1:1 will always have nicer blur than a 60mm, a 150mm more so.

I could do a quick blur test @ 1:1 vs a 105mm VR?

6. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Yes you are right of course. I have 85mm, 105mm and 200mm (x2) micro lenses. But they can be a bit long and the 105mm AFD lens is not so good at F16 whereas the 60mm AFD is still stellar at that F stop. Hence my use of that lens. I also quite like the wider FOV.

I tend to use 1:4. I would be grateful for any tests but don't waste too much time as I suspect it requires particularly conditions!

7. The new 60mm AF-S G Micro actually has a VERY nice bokeh, i'm really pleased! These two with the D50

original.
    NIKON D50    ---    60mm    f/7.1    1/640s    ISO 200

original.
    NIKON D50    ---    60mm    f/7.1    1/800s    ISO 200

8. Here's another with a nice bokeh.

2717393713_87072022ff_b.

9. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    That is what I usually get with mine, which I don't consider very nice. I guess its a matter of preference.

10. That is what I usually get with mine, which I don't consider very nice. I guess its a matter of preference.

Agreed - a longer focal length would completely obliterate that background. Looks messy IMHO, not blurred enough.

11. :smile: It is much improved over the old one.....

I guess you have to go to this kind of a focal length to really get a smooth bokeh :wink:
    original.
    NIKON D2X    ---    300mm    f/5.0    1/250s    ISO 100

12. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Thanks for all replies. It's helpful to have some examples. I think no lens will produce a perfect background when there is clutter in the view, but some are worse than others. The background in the first blue flower photo is fairly smooth. I might ask in a UK photo shop, Jessops - :eek:  - if I can shoot a few photos to compare side by side with my current lens.

13. SicKb0y

SicKb0y

Apr 1, 2008
    Germany
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Thanks again. I went back to my 85mm micro, and found I can get good white balance and flash exposure, contrary to my earlier experiences. And since it has nice IQ, I am sorted. It also has a blessed aperture ring.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.