Nikon 60mmF2.8G lens

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
I was taking some macro shots of a flower yesterday and found that I couldn't get above F3.2? I was using my D3 in manual mode lens in manual. I just cant finger out what the hell is gowning??
If you have any suggestion's as to what could be the problem please enlighten me.:actions1:
Cheers.
Mike

With many macro lenses the "effective" maximum aperture will be less the closer you
focus to your subject...

Thanks to a true IF design, the physical length of the lens remains constant at all focus
settings. However, the effective aperture decreases down to F/4.8 at minimum focus
distance, the lens reports this corrected value to the camera.

Source and rest of the review here:
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/394-nikkor_60_28

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
With many macro lenses the "effective" maximum aperture will be less the closer you
focus to your subject...

Source and rest of the review here:
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/394-nikkor_60_28

I thank you for that information.I taught that it should stay at 2.8?
I was app 20 in from the flower.Good light? Still 3.2?:m66:

However, the effective aperture decreases down to F/4.8 at minimum focus distance, the lens reports this corrected value to the camera.
Kindest Regards.
Mike.

I thank you for that information.I taught that it should stay at 2.8?
I was app 20 in from the flower.Good light? Still 3.2?:m66:

However, the effective aperture decreases down to F/4.8 at minimum focus distance, the lens reports this corrected value to the camera.
Kindest Regards.
Mike.

Correct, the closer to MFD you are for macro lenses, the larger the change in aperture.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
It's nice to have friends that can answer these frustrating questions.
You learn sum ting new every day.
Cheers.
Mike

I was told (not sure if correct) that on a Micro lens the max aperure is only achievable at infinity. Anyone care to comment?
Please;)

I was told (not sure if correct) that on a Micro lens the max aperure is only achievable at infinity. Anyone care to comment?
Please;)

incorrect, you dont have to be at infinity to have max aperture. but the aperture does stop down closer than you'd expect.

Just a few days back I bought a new 105 f/2.8D

While testing the lens in A priority I set it for 2.8 and focussed on something real close. The aperture reading inside the viewfinder showed 3.3. I thought I had committed a mistake and tried rotating the front dial on my D300. The reading wouldn't go down to 2.8.

I assumed something was wrong with the lens. There was a brand new 105 f/2.8G VR AF-S. I tested with that and the result was the same. Finally picked up the lens manual and there it was mentioned this anomaly. Phew...!

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
Just a few days back I bought a new 105 f/2.8D

While testing the lens in A priority I set it for 2.8 and focussed on something real close. The aperture reading inside the viewfinder showed 3.3. I thought I had committed a mistake and tried rotating the front dial on my D300. The reading wouldn't go down to 2.8.

I assumed something was wrong with the lens. There was a brand new 105 f/2.8G VR AF-S. I tested with that and the result was the same. Finally picked up the lens manual and there it was mentioned this anomaly. Phew...!

Hi Gurudutt.Thanks for your feed back.You know what thy say,When all els fails READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!
Cheers.
Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please;)

You need to distinguish between physical aperture (the size of the opening defined by the aperture blades) and the effective aperture. With non G lenses you can set the physical aperture using the ring on the lens. The camera though will report the effective aperture. These are not the same close up. This is because as you get very close, the image is blown up lots, and becomes dim. So you need a longer exposure even though the physical aperture is unchanged. For a good quality internal fodussing macro lens such as the 60mm F2.8 G, the effective aperture is only about 1 stop different from the real one at 1:1. but for older non internal focussing lenses there can be 2 or 3 stops of light loss. I won't bore you with an explanation of why.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom