Nikon 70-200 2.8 S noise on manual focus (Your opinion helps me to decide if I got a bad copy, thanks!)

Hi all,

I recently got the 70-200 2.8 S lens for my Z7 and love it.

However, when I manually focus by turning the focus ring, I heard some sound, very weak clicking sounds from the barrel, not loud but when you put your ears close to the barrel, you can definitely hear it. I noticed this when I was in a quiet room and try to manually focus under some challenging light conditions.

I guess it's because everything is digital, as you turn the ring, it is transformed into Digital signal and then used to drive the motor inside? But why the sound is disruptive instead of being smooth?

The auto focus is smooth and quiet.

Turning the focus ring with the camera turned off is also fine.

Also when I tried my 24-70 2.8 S. The manual focus is completely silent.

Can any of you confirm if your copy does the same? I was worried if I got a bad copy or something. It's not cheap lens after all.

Thank you very much!

It's a VR Lens, the 24-70/2.8 not!
So my guess is...you hear the VR working.
To verify, turn off VR and listen again.

Both lenses are "Multi focussing", that means they have both 2 STM-Drives, there "should" be no difference there. But your description of the sound could also mean the 70-200 has more weight to move during focussing so more "stress" for the STM's?

Just guessing!

Last edited:
It's a VR Lens, the 24-70/2.8 not!
So my guess is...you hear the VR working.
To verify, turn off VR and listen again.

Thanks! I turned the VR off, but the sound is still there.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom