Nikon 70-200 mm f/4 or Tamron 70-210 f/4 ?

Real Name
Carl
Looking at a "Mint" Nikon 70-200 f.4, VR used ~$850, 1 year warranty, or a new Tamron 70-210 f/4 VR about a Benjamin or so less, with the Tamron 6 year USA warranty. I have the $$, and permission from the Controller of the Exchequer to go for it. :D Any wise counsel re: quality, reliability, or other experiences with either, to help me choose? Thanx!

I have the Nikon and will not part with it. My experience with Tamron overall is hit and miss (about 50/50). Make sure you are getting a generous return policy if you choose the latter.

Real Name
Dan
I've had the Nikon for several years now. Very happy with it on all counts. So much so that I sold my 70-200 2.8 vr2 because it never came off the shelf any more.

I have the Nikon lens, and I have used the Tamron lens.

For shooting sports, I think the Tamron lens is better, because of the forward positioned zoom ring. I would not have thought so, until I actually used the Tamron lens. When I use my Nikon lens, I put the tripod foot on, reversed, then lay the foot into the palm of my hands, so that my fingers can work the zoom ring. With the Tamron lens, I just lay the lens in my hand (no tripod collar needed), and the zoom ring is nicely positioned for my fingers.

But . . . personally, I would go with the Nikon lens, if you can.

I do know that the Nikon lens is sharp. It was the lens that convinced me that the IQ limitation of my D7200 was the lens, not the camera.

Having both various non-pro AF zooms, and the 70-200/4, I will say it was worth it. $$$$ painful, but it was worth it.
I was contemplating upgrading to FX from my DX D7200, to get better IQ. But a few pics from the 70-200/4 showed me that the D7200 was not limited by the sensor, but by the glass. Admittedly I was doing some deep crops.

Though, in most normal situations, I don't push the IQ as much and the non-pro lenses were generally "good enough."
And in fact, I was looking at the 70-300 AFS VR to replace my 75-300 AF.

Last edited:
Real Name
Mike
Nikon focuses better and will have in camera correction for distortion and vignetting.

Real Name
Dan
Nikon focuses better and will have in camera correction for distortion and vignetting.
With DSLR bodies the in camera correction does not apply to RAW images processed on 3rd party software. Presumably the same with mirrorless but I have no info on that.

Looking at a "Mint" Nikon 70-200 f.4, VR used ~$850, 1 year warranty, or a new Tamron 70-210 f/4 VR about a Benjamin or so less, with the Tamron 6 year USA warranty. I have the $$, and permission from the Controller of the Exchequer to go for it. :D Any wise counsel re: quality, reliability, or other experiences with either, to help me choose? Thanx!

I do not have the TAMRON, but I do have the Nikkor 70-200 f4.0 which is Sharp into the corners at Every focal length, already at f4.0 getting better at smaller F-stops down to f16, after which Diffraction sets in, yet not that objectionable, exept for f32, and set at 200mm it shows the same view as my Nikkor Q 200 f4.0, so No focus breathing, it has Great Close Focus Capability , about One Meter ( 3feet ) and still Sharp at every focal length , and AF is fast on D3s and D3x, it also feels Solid and Easy to use, it`s a Lovely lens.

The Nikon 70-200 f/4 is amazingly sharp. In the attached snap, when I view the high res file, I can make out the individual threads that make up the uniform (shot at f/5.6).

Untitled.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Black Forest, Kaltenbronn, Southwest Germany. Tamron 70-210 f/4 VC
Schwarzwald Kaltenbronn DSC_6259.jpg

Last edited:

mrb

So far I am liking the Tokina 70-200mm F4 a lot
PICT8921.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom