Showcase Nikon 70-200mm f/4 G AF-S

D

Deleted member 638

It will be too expensive ... :frown:
but worth a mortgage :biggrin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I saw the FM post as well as the other post, but was hoping for more sample photos from cafe members. Trying to decide if it is worth selling my 100/2 to fund the 70-200/4 purchase. It may provide a more logical kit given my other equipment.

D

Deleted member 638

Trying to decide if it is worth selling my 100/2 to fund the 70-200/4 purchase. It may provide a more logical kit given my other equipment.
You already have an f/4 lens in the 70 to 120 mm FL range. I would never sell a 100 Zeiss to fund a 70-200/4. IQ of a prime Zeiss lens (and the 100/2 is one of the best Zeiss primes) is far better than any f/4 zoom.
The quality of landscape, portrait and close-up pictures the Makro-Planar provides is *outstanding*. However, if you don't need/mind quality (lasting over decades, btw, due to built quality), then sell the 100/2.
If I were in your shoes I'd buy a used AF ED 180/2.8, to be employed when you need more reach or more subject isolation from the background.

D

Deleted member 638

Thanks Mark for those tests.
I understand the lens quality is quite good near the optical axis (i.e. in the center) :wink:

Real Name
Mark
Thanks Mark for those tests.
I understand the lens quality is quite good near the optical axis (i.e. in the center) :wink:
It's good enough for me so far Riccardo.:smile: I guess it won't be long before the real tests are out and we can see what the corners are like etc. I took a couple of handheld shots of a flat surface and the corners looked pretty good to me, it definitely wasn't controlled conditions though!! Maybe I can find a brick wall and set the tripod up later.:biggrin:

I have shot with the lens twice so far- one with a 2x teleconverter- it did pretty good.
This was my second outing, no teleconverter- about an hour or so at the local dog park. Nothing terrific here, but I was pretty pleased with the lens. It is a little short for my normal shooting so these are mildly cropped. Focus was quick and it tracked pretty well. Light was harsh, but lens did pretty darn well. Sure is smaller than the 2.8 version! Was a pleasure to shoot with, and will win a home in my bag when I do not need f2.8. Oh, these were all shot a f5.6.
Gary

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

Thorsten

Here are a few examples from today, all at f/4:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom