Nikon 70-210 f4-5.6 D

After a couple weeks of reading about 70-200,s and the price started checking out old glass.
Picked up what appears to be a never used or very lightly used 70-210 for 89 bucks.
For the type of shooting I do works great and nice clean pics. Love a bargain .
There are several more on amazon be sure to get the D model or you can pay a few bucks more and get the f4 only. This model is a slide focus which is fine for me. This is built in Japan old school steel and a tank.

Real Name
Carl
I had one of those 70-210s Good lens, except I disliked the push-pull zoom. I used it for 20+ years. if the lens was pointed down, the zoom would slide. I solved that by strangling the zoom barrel, and it didn't move. I called mine the "Iron Duke". It was a bit stout. I am now considering the fixed 70-200 f/4...or the or the 70-300 mm FX P lens as a replacement for my 70-300 mm 4.5-5.6 VR lens. I do like the 300 mm on my DX camera, tho. Decisions, decisions!

Real Name
Andrew
That zoom is well regarded. While the D focuses a bit faster, the non-D is just as good.

I agree with Johnathan here on that. I had the non-D version for a while and loved using it on the Df. Worked very well for what it is and its age. I only got rid of it when I picked up the Nikon 80-200/4.5-5.6D. That lens is lighter and smaller than the 70-210, but I think that I preferred the sharpness and rendering of the 70-210 better. I might trade the 80-200 back in and get the 70-210 again.

Samples here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gryphon1911/albums/72157666600566513

I honestly did not mind the push pull mechanism, but as others have said, pointing down can cause some extension.

I went with the fixed f/4 lens.
It worked well for most of what I was shooting, and I liked it.
BUT when I started using it for night football games, the AF would hunt at the worst times, and when my other lenses did not. I lost MANY shots. So out of frustration, it was retired.
Note, I did not have that AF hunting problem during day games.

As for push/pull. For ME, I want the zoom control to be light and easy to move, like the old 80-200/4.5 where I could zoom with my fingers. This is because when I want to zoom, I don't want to fight the lens to zoom. Too much drag, and I end up being distracted by fighting the zoom.

Latest threads

Top Bottom