Nikon 70-300 AF-P on a D300

My son inherited my D300 and wants a longer lens. The Nikon 70-300 AF-P is very well regarded and would serve him well even as he upgrades cameras later (when I upgrade he will get my D500). However, I read that there may be issues with the lens and the D300 but have not been able to find out what they are. Anyone have any information of experience with this?

Real Name
Carl
I have no direct experience with the D 300. The P is a fine lens, but find a good pre owned 70-300 AF-S 70-300 4.5-5.6....a contemporary of the D300. It will play well with the camera, and costs less.
I have a friend who used the combination to shoot for a car publication, high school track & field events, Gymnmastics, plays and grad photeaux. His lens is/was, as KEH says... UGLY! The focus ring rubber was at least a quarter inch larger than the lens barrel, he had used it so much, but it produced. His son has the camera and lens now.
The AF-S was my first really long lens. I used it with satisfaction on my D 50, D 90 and D7100 for 10+ years... till GAS struck, and I upgraded to the P series. Happy! Mother Nikon could give you definitive information about the D300 and the P lens. May just need a software upgrade.

I have no direct experience with the D 300. The P is a fine lens, but find a good pre owned 70-300 AF-S 70-300 4.5-5.6....a contemporary of the D300. It will play well with the camera, and costs less.
I have a friend who used the combination to shoot for a car publication, high school track & field events, Gymnmastics, plays and grad photeaux. His lens is/was, as KEH says... UGLY! The focus ring rubber was at least a quarter inch larger than the lens barrel, he had used it so much, but it produced. His son has the camera and lens now.
The AF-S was my first really long lens. I used it with satisfaction on my D 50, D 90 and D7100 for 10+ years... till GAS struck, and I upgraded to the P series. Happy! Mother Nikon could give you definitive information about the D300 and the P lens. May just need a software upgrade.
Thanks. What I have found out so far is that the AF-P will lose its focus acquisition when the meter turns off, but otherwise works fine with the D300. That said, I have been looking for a used AF-S 70-300 and they are hard to come by. None of the usual outlets (KEH, B&H, Adorama, Lens Authority) have any. The only ones I could find are on eBay which I am less than thrilled about buying from.

Real Name
Carl
Ron;
On eBay, I only deal with sellers that have 99.6% feedback or above, and I check their negatives and neutrals closely. I was surprised how many persons complained about things that were not really the seller's fault! Good experiences so far.
I bought an SB 26 flash from a Japanese eBay seller...It said Manual included...it was in Japanese! :D I should have expected that one!
You might try UsedPhotoPro/Roberts Camera. Good people!
I had one experience with MPB, not super, and maybe partly my fault, but...read the fine print! Many people use them with satisfaction. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks. What I have found out so far is that the AF-P will lose its focus acquisition when the meter turns off, but otherwise works fine with the D300. That said, I have been looking for a used AF-S 70-300 and they are hard to come by. None of the usual outlets (KEH, B&H, Adorama, Lens Authority) have any. The only ones I could find are on eBay which I am less than thrilled about buying from.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1693349/0?keyword=nikon,70-300#15543461

Ron;
On eBay, I only deal with sellers that have 99.6% feedback or above, and I check their negatives and neutrals closely. I was surprised how many persons complained about things that were not really the seller's fault! Good experiences so far.
I bought an SB 26 flash from a Japanese eBay seller...It said Manual included...it was in Japanese! :D I should have expected that one!
You might try UsedPhotoPro/Roberts Camera. Good people!
I had one experience with MPB, not super, and maybe partly my fault, but...read the fine print! Many people use them with satisfaction. Good luck!
I bought my D300 from Roberts years ago, but they don't have one either. Thanks.

Real Name
Ken
Thanks for the help everyone. Found a used AF-S 70-300 VR at Glazer's in Seattle for a very nice price and a 60 day return period.
Glad you found a copy. Glazers stands behind their used equipment. I have bought used and new from them over the years.

--Ken

JLH

Glad you found one. I actually have a very good one that is being neglected as I have begun my switch over to the Z Series and the S lenses. I am slowing seeing its time to part with some of my F mount lenses.

I have a free account, and I can see it. Are you saying they’re charging now just to sign up? I know it might cost money to sell, but it doesn’t cost to buy and browse, I don’t think anyway.
When I tried to send the seller a PM, it was rejected because I did not have enough posts and said I needed to pay. I found one at Glazer’s in Seattle for less. It just arrived and is in great condition. Thanks though.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom