Nikon 70-300 VR w/ TC

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by danmab, Aug 7, 2007.

1. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Can't seem to find any match when I search the site, but was wondering if anybody has used a 1.4 TC with the 70-300 VR? I assume it would work since the lens is AF-S?

Looking for a cheap alternative to extend my reach without having to spend too much nor sacrifce too much IQ --- I find the 70-300 excellent for IQ.

2. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I PM'd you Dan, I don't think it works... Also, the IQ would be pretty rough, especially with horribly slow aperture range.

Checking Nikon's site or a call to Nikon Customer support are always solutions as well...

3. In the manual for the 70-300VR, near the bottom, it says "Incompatible Accessories: Teleconverters (all models)".

This pretty well closes the door.

4. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    It will work with a Kenko pro 1.4.

5. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    I tried with the sigma 1.4 yesterday, it freaked out a little, VR no, focus no.

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Yeah, the Kenko sure works where many others don't. Wish I'd kept mine...

7. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Thanks Lisa -- to clarify when you say it works, does that mean the AF works, the VR works? Can you post some pics with it at 300?

8. . . . and to jump in on this thread, does it work at all focal lengths? I'm not so concerned about using it at 70mm as I am about having read something about the rear elements bumping at the shorter focal length -- or maybe that was with a wider zoom, like the 55-200, or even the 18-200?

9. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Yes, both worked. I didn't honestly use it that much with the TC...but I'll check the files and see what I have for pics for you.

I vaguely recall something with elements bumping certain lenses with certain TC's, but don't recall it with this combo, and I never ran into it.

10. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    The kenko 1.4 works on my 70-300vr including vr & af.

The kenko 2.0 DOES NOT work on my 70-300vr. The af just goes crazy.

The 18-200vr's rear element protrudes out of the lens very slightly at 18mm so I have not tried it with any tc.

Peace
    Mark

11. it's not something I'd wanna see
    I am back and forth w/ IQ on the 70-300 w/o a tc (one day i like it and the next i hate it)