Showcase Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 E ED AF-P VR DX/FX (model 20068)

I just ordered this lens to use as a zoom for my Z6. I would love to see some of your sample photos from this lens while I wait for mine to arrive. I think we need to get this lens added to our showcase forum.

The lens is on sale right now. This is what Thom Hogan said about it.

“This lens was already what I consider a bargain (great performance for the price), so the modest discount just makes that better. You really can't beat its performance at this price. Not from any vendor, actually. For Z users, this is the telephoto zoom you should be putting on your FTZ adapter when traveling. My review of the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew
OK, here are my contributions.

I've got more in a Flickr album here.
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF-P ED VR

Also, my initial review of the lens:
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF-P ED VR – Lens Review

Now what you've been waiting for!!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I knew that I did not want a Z 70-200 f2.8, and had basically convinced myself to be satisfied with the 24-70 f4.

“Basically”.......until this thread peaked my interest in the 70-300 f4.5-5.6 VR. Thanks Terri and Andrew, I think? FedEx visits me on Friday.

Real Name
Andrew
I knew that I did not want a Z 70-200 f2.8, and had basically convinced myself to be satisfied with the 24-70 f4.

“Basically”.......until this thread peaked my interest in the 70-300 f4.5-5.6 VR. Thanks Terri and Andrew, I think? FedEx visits me on Friday.
I thought the Nikon 70-300/4.5-5.6 ED VR and tamron 70-300/4-5.6 VC were good...until I got this AF-P model. Yes, the FX version is bigger than the DX version and if all you shoot is DX sensor size bodies, I'd recommend the DX version. However...if you want something that will work across Nikon Z mirrorless as well as FX/DX DSLRs....then this is really the best bang for buck consumer grade zoom out there. It does have the bonus of being weather resistant and solidly built.

We will have fun testing it out together!! Mine comes Thursday!

I thought the Nikon 70-300/4.5-5.6 ED VR and tamron 70-300/4-5.6 VC were good...until I got this AF-P model. Yes, the FX version is bigger than the DX version and if all you shoot is DX sensor size bodies, I'd recommend the DX version. However...if you want something that will work across Nikon Z mirrorless as well as FX/DX DSLRs....then this is really the best bang for buck consumer grade zoom out there. It does have the bonus of being weather resistant and solidly built.
Now I will just have to figure out what to do with my DX version.....possibly keep it for when I take the D5600 hiking and I want to travel light. I bought it refurbished when refurbished items were on sale, so I think I got it for $150.

Right you are, Terri!(y)

Just a Z6/FTZ for me now, Andrew. Yes, when reading the specs last night, the weather resistance was a pleasant surprise.

I have to admit, I would like to see a Z 24-120 f4.

Real Name
Andrew
Right you are, Terri!(y)

Just a Z6/FTZ for me now, Andrew. Yes, when reading the specs last night, the weather resistance was a pleasant surprise.

I have to admit, I would like to see a Z 24-120 f4.
You and a lot of others would like to see that 24-120 version in Z. Don't see it anywhere in the roadmaps or rumors...however, there is plenty of room for it in the "cheaper" Z mount lenses that have been hinted at by Nikon. If Nikon can keep the IQ on the cheaper Z lenses to the same or better quality as they have on the lens that is the subject of this thread...I think they will have a killer system in mirrorless - FINALLY! :)

My lens came today. Nothing special to shoot and the wind is howling outside. But I had to share a couple of the first shots. I can tell that I will love it. It is super sharp. I never would have even considered this lens if it hadn't been for the Cafe. Thank you for all the knowledge you share.

Some little neighbor girls brought me some flowers.

A little robin in the backyard (very heavily cropped). Sorry I am not a good bird photographer.

Can't wait to give the lens a proper try out!! Maybe I will go to the zoo tomorrow if the weather cooperates!!

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
My lens came today. Nothing special to shoot and the wind is howling outside. But I had to share a couple of the first shots. I can tell that I will love it. It is super sharp. I never would have even considered this lens if it hadn't been for the Cafe. Thank you for all the knowledge you share.

Some little neighbor girls brought me some flowers.
View attachment 1637457

A little robin in the backyard (very heavily cropped). Sorry I am not a good bird photographer.
View attachment 1637458

View attachment 1637459

Can't wait to give the lens a proper try out!! Maybe I will go to the zoo tomorrow if the weather cooperates!!
Terri, that bird is awesome.
The lens seems to perform well.

Kind regards
Klaus

Two from the zoo, looking through either windows or fencing.

I really enjoyed the Z6 with the 70-300 at the zoo today. The conditions were terrible for shooting....full sun with cages and windows to shoot through or dark indoor exhibits with artificial light. But it was just enjoyable being there and having a lightweight setup to carry and shoot. This lens is so sharp. When I got my D70 (a hundred or so years ago) I bought an inexpensive 70-300 at that time. That lens was so terrible that I got rid of it right away and bought the 70-200 f2.8 that I still own. I've never been interested in a 70-300 since. But this one is nothing like that original one I bought.

Just purchased this lens to cover this range with the Z7 until Nikon brings out something in this range in Z mount. I’m very happy with my first outing with it at the Brevard Zoo

I am using it on a trip to Oregon. I'm really liking it on my Z6.

Real Name
Ken
I took my new 70-300 and my new (to me) D750 out today for some test images at our rose garden. The attached are SOOC jpegs at the default settings as I have not yet had a chance to process the raw files in Lightroom. Most of these images were taken at 300mm near the close end of the focusing range. They seem reasonable, although I was having some that seemed to meter a bit underexposed. The firmware on the D750 is not the most current, but it did support AF-P lenses. Not sure why I was getting such readings, but it was not consistent so it may have just been a one-off. Not a bad lens at all from my first impressions.

--Ken

I took my new 70-300 and my new (to me) D750 out today for some test images at our rose garden. The attached are SOOC jpegs at the default settings as I have not yet had a chance to process the raw files in Lightroom. Most of these images were taken at 300mm near the close end of the focusing range. They seem reasonable, although I was having some that seemed to meter a bit underexposed. The firmware on the D750 is not the most current, but it did support AF-P lenses. Not sure why I was getting such readings, but it was not consistent so it may have just been a one-off. Not a bad lens at all from my first impressions.

--Ken
View attachment 1639486 View attachment 1639487
They look so nice. I can't wait to see more.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom